A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Aficionado

Middle of the USA
HS English & Psych, Adjunct too
What can be negotiated?

It may vary by district or by state, but ...

If your district allows your teacher organization to bargain the contract, does anyone know where I can find a list of things that can be negotiated ...
- salary increases
- duty days
- personal days
- what about "smaller" things like teacher dress code?

Old 04-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
I know in North Carolina, your first three cannot be negotiated. You are at will and pay is state mandated.
Things like dress code are up to individual principals, so maybe...

In Michigan, I doubt there is a lot of room for negotiation since they frequently get thousands of applicants per position. In my 2 Michigan offers, I've been too afraid to try to negotiate!
Old 04-08-2014, 06:37 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku_alum View Post
It may vary by district or by state, but ...

If your district allows your teacher organization to bargain the contract, does anyone know where I can find a list of things that can be negotiated ...
- salary increases
- duty days
- personal days
- what about "smaller" things like teacher dress code?
The first three tend to be contract items in districts near me..ldress code tends to be under board policy kinds of concerns.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Comrade

I can't negotiate anything because the union in my corporation thinks they somehow have the right to negotiate on my behalf despite the fact that I don't belong to the organization.

It's shameful.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Enthusiast

Virginia
3rd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest_Teacher View Post
I can't negotiate anything because the union in my corporation thinks they somehow have the right to negotiate on my behalf despite the fact that I don't belong to the organization.

It's shameful.
I live in a non-union state. I can't negotiate any of those things. I consider it more shameful that unions aren't allowed here, since a union would likely help protect elementary teachers from having total unencumbered weekly planning time of an hour or less, but that's just me.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Comrade

midwest
Upper Elementary Teacher
It does vary by state. Some states have legislated those things that are not open to negotiation. Try googling your state's statutes on teacher negotiations.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr3teacher View Post
I live in a non-union state. I can't negotiate any of those things. I consider it more shameful that unions aren't allowed here, since a union would likely help protect elementary teachers from having total unencumbered weekly planning time of an hour or less, but that's just me.
Of course you do.

And, of course, you can negotiate planning time into your own contract if you have that leverage.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Enthusiast

Virginia
3rd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest_Teacher View Post
Of course you do.

And, of course, you can negotiate planning time into your own contract if you have that leverage.
Um... no, I don't. My contract is "take it or leave it." There's no negotiation available whatsoever. I can tell you the exact salary of any person working within my district, and so could any other person who decided to peruse the HR department page on my district webpage.

I'm not sure what magical utopia you think takes place when unions are ousted, but it doesn't work the way you seem to believe it does.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Comrade

I have no problem with unions existing (though public unions pumping money into elections so they can negotiate "with" their cronies is completely inappropriate).

I do have a problem with unions requiring that they be the sole negotiating party for labor; that's inappropriate and antithetical to a competitive marketplace.

You seem to believe that people never negotiate the terms of their employment without a rent-seeking party (union leadership) between themselves and management.

Amazing how 90% of the United States labor force seems to function without that buffer.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Enthusiast

Virginia
3rd Grade Teacher
90% of the workforce exists without that buffer, but most people also don't negotiate their salary. I have worked in one form or another for 16 years. I was a member of a union for ten months of that year. I've never had the opportunity to negotiate my salary. The closest I've ever come is pointing out to my supervisor that I missed the typical three-month salary increase because I only worked a month or two at a time due to college.
Closed Thread

Tags
negotiated