A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 04-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Companion

Central CA
Secondary: How do you deal with a student who accuses you of picking on them?

In other words, their low grade is a reflection of the fact that you're picking on them. Usually that claim is baseless because the student is failing more than one class. But this student is only failing my class which puts me in a tough situation.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Connoisseur

Maryland
US History & World History
Pull out your gradebook, tell them to grab a calculator and break it down if need be. Just make sure you can justify each grade you have given this child.

As to the child saying you're picking on them - as my P says, "Don't entertain foolishness."
Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Enthusiast

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue! View Post
Pull out your gradebook, tell them to grab a calculator and break it down if need be. Just make sure you can justify each grade you have given this child.

As to the child saying you're picking on them - as my P says, "Don't entertain foolishness."
Exactly! I tell them I don't give grades, but I will be happy to see that the computer didn't cheat them. I will add the points up in a certain subject if they choose.

I agree completely with Go Blue on how to handle this.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Aficionado

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
Like others said, show them their grades. You don't have to spend a lot of time on it, and gather all kinds of documents (you're not defending yourself), just show them gradebook and which assignment they missed, turned in late or incomplete, or low test scores. Or just print it out.

It's a lot harder to deal with when a student tries to stay you're picking on the because of their behavior, with grades, it's pretty must black and white, it's not up to interpretation.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Companion

Central CA
Our school has an online gradebook system that the parents have access to. They can see exactly what her grades are, assignment by assignment. To her credit, she does turn in most things but completely suck at tests. I told her parents that her tests are really hurting her but her parents can't fathom why when their daughter studies so hard. sigh.

The thing that bugs the hell out of me is she didn't turn in an assignment that was worth close to 6% of her total grade early in the semester. With that, she would sit at a mid C and I imagine I would not have this accusation.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Connoisseur

parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeschmoe View Post
In other words, their low grade is a reflection of the fact that you're picking on them. Usually that claim is baseless because the student is failing more than one class. But this student is only failing my class which puts me in a tough situation.
Just one thing: a student failing more than one class does not mean, by itself, that their claim is baseless. You should always be prepared to justify grades completely independently of their other classes, and indeed that is definitely not the first place you should look for defense to such a charge.

Incidentally, it's probably worthwhile to review how you assign credit to homework assignments for future classes. If one HW assignment really could affect a kid's grade by as much as 6%, it probably won't be the last time you'll have the situation. Is that HW assignment really worth that much?
Old 04-09-2014, 09:38 AM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
Could you accept that project if she turned it in late? I would point to that in particular either way, as it shows that she has actively participated in her own failure.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Companion

Central CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Sons View Post
Just one thing: a student failing more than one class does not mean, by itself, that their claim is baseless. You should always be prepared to justify grades completely independently of their other classes, and indeed that is definitely not the first place you should look for defense to such a charge.

Incidentally, it's probably worthwhile to review how you assign credit to homework assignments for future classes. If one HW assignment really could affect a kid's grade by as much as 6%, it probably won't be the last time you'll have the situation. Is that HW assignment really worth that much?

Not homework. Project. And yes, 6% for a project is acceptable in my eyes because they don't get many projects throughout the semester. Heck, I remember teachers in my days making projects worth 20-30%
Old 04-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
I agree with the others. Depending on my mood and if I have time, I might allow the student make their argument and then poke holes in their theory. Most students know they don't have a leg to stand on with claims of academic unfairness, it's generally the behavior problems that feel picked on.

Tags
accuses, deal, picking, secondary, student