A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 04-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Enthusiast

Midwest
Principal job hunt tips

Hi All,
I know most of us are looking for teaching positions, but I have decided to try and make the leap to administration. I feel like I'm starting all over again! I feel like I have a strong resume, cover letter, and interview skills (skills I learned right here at a to z!).

I know many of you have sat in on principal interviews and there are a few administrators on here. I will be doing my research on any districts that give me an interview so I will be able to speak to their particular needs and the curriculum they are using. What else can I do to stand out?

Old 04-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
I was on the panel when we hired an AP at my old school.
In the end, we didn't hire the person that made the most sense on paper- we chose the person with the best personality fit. And we were very, very, very happy with our choice.

Here are a few of my don'ts from the day (which should be obvious):
- don't sound arrogant or cocky. Stay upbeat and positive.
- don't drone on and on in a monotone voice. (The teacher sitting next to me swears I fell asleep during once candidate's interview. She says my breathing changed. I did NOT- I had a whole page of doodles to prove it. But, she was terribly boring.)
- don't be too comfortable- useful if you know the panel. Our worst interview was a teacher at our school. Her answers were very shallow. Yes, we know her, but she came off sounding unqualified for the job.
- don't lie. We had one candidate going on and on about all of her experience was in low income schools. She taught at Grosse Pointe North High School. I had a copy of her resume in front of me and drew a giant "?!" next to it when she said that she had only taught in low income schools. I must have had a look on my face that gave me away- she started backpedaling and she became flustered. The interview was for my school in NC, but she even knew that I was from Michigan from the introductions- yet she still lied. It made me wonder what else she was lying about and how often she passes Grosse Pointe North off as a poor school. (For people who are unfamiliar- Grosse Pointe is one of the wealthiest towns in the country. Very 'old money'.)
Old 04-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Enthusiast

Midwest
Thanks Giraffe! Those are great tips!

Tags
hunt, job, principal, tips