A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 03-22-2014, 12:13 PM
Aficionado

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
Observation

For the first time I need help with a lesson. I'm usually really good at come up with them.
This is my spring evaluation, and although I don't think my contract renewal rides on this, I do want to do the best I can, and I think it might make a difference in next year's renewal.

It's high school English, grade level 9-12.

We've done a persuasive writing unit, but we had so many interruptions.
It's been 3 weeks, and basically I focused a lot on persuasive techniques and the students are writing a persuasive essay. This upcoming week will be the 3rd week and the end of the quarter.
The last 2 weeks had many interruptions which caused me to break up the lessons. We had 2 Fridays with field trips and 2 days of CAHSEE testing, where I had about half of the students in classes so we couldn't go on with the regular lessons, because the others would have missed it. We focused on persuasive techniques used in advertizing, showed a lot of videos, it all went well.

So. The only lesson idea I can come up with for Wednesday is an actual review for their test on Thursday. By Tuesday they should be done with their final draft for the essay. Obviously I can't have the principal observe a lesson where the students are writing on their own the whole time.

These are the things I came up with:
- review definitions and characteristics of logos, pathos, ethos.
- what makes an argument weak or strong.
- show them some commercials and have them analyze for effectiveness, how logos/pathos/ethos were used, etc. (I already have a lot of commercials downloaded, and we ended up not using them)
- I was thinking about finding 1 or 2 speeches about the topic they wrote about (should the drinking age be 18 or 21). There's plenty on Youtube. give them criteria and analyze for effectiveness, techniques, etc.

That's about it. The class time is only 48 minutes. My P said the lesson doesn't have to be a model/guided practice/independent practice type, anything will do. I don't have to give her a formal lesson plan, just basically something that will tell her what to expect.

The only additional thing I can think of is review some of the techniques I already did on the fieldtrip / CAHSEE days, like 'cardstacking', 'name calling', and have them also analyze speeches and commercial with those. We can also talk about how they can be used in essays (although shouldn't, and why, etc)

How can I make this into a great lesson? I don't want anything out of the ordinary because students that can throw students off, and don't want to do group work, not even partner work. This is a very big class, and chose it because they were my best class for a long time, then got off track but now they're ok. The other class I thought about using is a much smaller class, and the whole thing kinda drags. I know I'll get a much better result with this class, but don't want to use partner work with them.

Any ideas are appreciated!
My P already thinks my lessons are great, so I don't have to impress her so much, but I also don't want to let her down

Old 03-22-2014, 03:52 PM
Aficionado

Anyone with any ideas?
The only thing I can think of is having everything as a class discussion, of course students take notes as we go along. And there will be a warm up, as always.
But other than that, I don't know if this is too flat, or if it's ok.

Haaalp!
Old 03-22-2014, 03:55 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
Could you spend at least part of the lesson having a few brave students read their writing aloud for peer review?
Old 03-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Companion

Texas
5/6 Math and Science
What about having the students create an ad that tries to convince the reader of something(e.g. place to eat, travel, TV show, ect.) using the different types of persuasion. You could take the last 10 minutes of class to set up a gallery walk where the students could look at the different ads and then try to pick out which technique that their peers used?

If you had use of technology, you could have them write a commercial with persuasive techniques and then record them.

Both of these would have the students apply what they have learned so far to create a new product.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:05 PM
Aficionado

Catnfiddle: I thought about that. Originally I thought that maybe I could have a few students volunteer to read their essay and the rest of the class would evaluate it based on criteria. Of course this would be set up ahead of time.
But I don't like surprises and what if those students would back out at the last minutes, especially seeing the P there, or would be absent? Then I'd have to have a back up plan.
That's how I came up with the idea of having some speeches from Youtube and they'd evaluate that, this way there are no surprises.

Ms. C: The gallery walk wouldn't work, we don't want students to get up and walk around, that's too much chaos Recording it would also take way too long, I actually don't have a video camera, and don't have a cord that I can use to connect my phone to the computer. And it would go into a whole other day. It would just take too long.

I do like the idea of having them apply their knowledge, I just need to find something within the time frame and within their abilities.

I have identify, recall, explain and analyze, so applying it would be a good one.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Companion

Texas
5/6 Math and Science
My seventh graders can't do a traditional gallery walk either. They stay in their seat and the papers get passed around. I give them a specific time limit (say 2-3 minutes sometimes more depending on the activity) and then when I call time I have them pass the papers to the left. I also have to be very specific about how long you have to pass. "You have 10 secs to pass the paper to your left"
Old 03-24-2014, 01:51 AM
Aficionado

OREGON
I am just streaming ideas here. Can you start the class with a super You Tube video? That could set the tone for the class.

I have seen classes line up in the middle of the room, the teacher reads a comment, and students move to the pro side of the room or the con side of the room. Can you adapt that to meet your class needs?
Old 03-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Aficionado

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I didn't want to get too creative, and throw students out of their regular routine. Also I had to consider my student population, and although starting with a youtube video would be a great attention grabber, it's better to start with something more structured - with my students - and set that type of tone.

We ended up review all the persuasive techiques and elements we learned in the past 3 weeks (besides writing the essay), such as unfair/fair techniques, strong / weak argument, logos/pathos/ethos, acknowledging the audience with counter arguments in the essay.
It was me asking them questions, they were answering and writing them down, I used charts they filled in, some notes, and match / identify type answers. At the very end we had enough time to show 2-3 commercials and they analyzed for logos/pathos/ethos.

They did well, very well behaved, my P said it was a good lesson. She asked if they're always this well behaved, I was honest and told her this is how they were at the beginning of the quarter for about 4-5 weeks, then got off track a little, and since then they're so much better. Chatty at times, and come in kinda loud, but are always engaged in the lesson and get all work done. We don't have many disruptions.

She told me before it's not so much of how well the students are behaving, but how I'm handling issues as they come up.

So I feel pretty good. Originally I thought we were going to analyze 1 or 2 speeches (from Youtube) about the topic they wrote about), and review and do some commercials, but realized we wouldn't have enough time. Even last time I thought we'd have more time, I had 6 commercials lined up. My observation was 3rd period, so during 1st and 2nd I was able to see that we actually have to move fast to get things done.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:15 PM
Companion

Florida
High School Geometry and English
Have the students compare and contrast logos, ethos, and pathos. That is the only thing I can think of
Old 03-26-2014, 05:16 PM
Aficionado

I thought about that, but I don't think compare and contrast would work. They're all very different techniques, so contrasting works, comparing doesn't.

Tags
observation