A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Special Education

Old 12-31-2013, 08:45 AM
Companion

Preschool Teacher
Toilet Training in Sped. Ed.

I have a student in my class that is 5 years old, non-verbal due to medical reasons (uses asl as main form of communication) and has significant motor delays, although cognitive functioning is age appropriate. It was decided at the last IEP meeting that we needed to start working on toilet training so that hopefully the student will be able to go to Kindergarten already trained. The parent has not attempted to start at home because she has a 1 year old and feels like she shouldn't try to train the older child until the 1 year old is ready as well, but, we still have to start the process at school. So far, the student has shown no interest in trying to go into the bathroom and doesn't really even seem to understand what it's for. The student does not indicate the need to be changed.

My hope is to come up with a structured plan that we can implement when we go back from break. And to be realistic...I have 18 other students with significant special needs as well, with only 1 para, so I have to figure out personnel too.

Any ideas?

Old 01-03-2014, 12:01 PM
Habitué

*The obvious* Why are you required to do this, and not the parents? That's terrible. It's not going to work if they don't reinforce it at home.

*My advice* would be to set up a consistent routine for when he uses the restroom. At first, it might need to be every 20 minutes. Praise, praise, praise when he uses the potty successfully. Also, you might want to come up with a sticker chart to help reinforce the behavior.

I have used food to reward for toilet training before when nothing else would work. (Dum-dum lollipops.) This was very successful. I know this is taboo, but it worked.

Also, if the child could understand it, you could make a social story explaining why it's important for him to use the restroom like a "big boy."
Old 01-03-2014, 12:02 PM
Habitué

http://www.ccsd.edu/files/filesystem...ty%20Story.pdf

Just an example I found on the internet.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Enthusiast

NY of course!
Special Education Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecteach View Post
*The obvious* Why are you required to do this, and not the parents? That's terrible. It's not going to work if they don't reinforce it at home.

*My advice* would be to set up a consistent routine for when he uses the restroom. At first, it might need to be every 20 minutes. Praise, praise, praise when he uses the potty successfully. Also, you might want to come up with a sticker chart to help reinforce the behavior.

I have used food to reward for toilet training before when nothing else would work. (Dum-dum lollipops.) This was very successful. I know this is taboo, but it worked.

Also, if the child could understand it, you could make a social story explaining why it's important for him to use the restroom like a "big boy."
Great advice. I have a student who is MUCH older than 5 and the parents never bothered even trying at home. It's actually pretty sad. Anyway, I would actually start with even less than 20 minutes IF youc an spare the time. If not, then 20 minutes should be a good start. Praise and reinforcers are especially helpful. Maybe a plan can be written up and also used at home. Consistancy is really important and parents need to get off their butts and get with the program.

Tags
sped, toilet, training