A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Student & Preservice Teachers

Old 12-31-2013, 08:35 AM
Rookie

Marquette, MI
Student teacher Secondary Science
Question Planning Ahead....

I will be student teaching in a predominantly 11th grade Biology class this next semester. With all the comments I heard from my professors in college to other people, it sounds like I will be busier than I ever have been in my life while student teaching. This scares me a bit as I have to commute to my school 30 min every day and make time for my ten year old daughter, step-son, and husband.

Since time sounds so precious, I am trying to prepare ahead whatever I can. I have the textbook for the class, and know right where the class is right now. I still am not exactly sure where my own lesson planning will fall other than the end of a chapter on genetics, and I will be covering evolution. Does anyone have suggestions on how I could effectively use this last week to get a jump start on student teaching? I have emailed my teacher with several questions but I have a feeling she is trying to keep her own Holiday Break away from school-related stress.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:07 AM
Fanatic

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
Get a crockpot and plan meals..get your homelife in order.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:21 AM
Rookie

Marquette, MI
Student teacher Secondary Science
Really?

That was useful
Old 12-31-2013, 10:32 AM
Fanatic

Virginia
3rd Grade Teacher
Your CT will have more advice for you in terms of planning than any of us will. The best thing you can do for yourself is to streamline your home life as best as possible. Get your daughter and step-son trained to take on more household chores than they might be used to. Assign responsibilities. If you don't already have a family calendar, get one.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:42 AM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel13 View Post
That was useful
Old 12-31-2013, 11:59 AM
Connoisseur

Arkansas
Upper Elementary Teacher
It's a little early to start lesson planning at this stage. You need to get in the classroom, observe how things go and how information is presented, and see how the pacing actually works. I agree with the others that organizing home would be more useful at this stage.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:45 PM
Companion

Midwestern USA
Substitute Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrachelle87 View Post
Get a crockpot and plan meals..get your homelife in order.
Quote:
That was useful
I really think mrachelle87 was trying to be helpful, but it may have come across a little snarky.

Actually, planning meals ahead of time and using the crockpot a few times a week would be a great way for you to free up time in the evenings for your family. Less time making dinner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdamity View Post
It's a little early to start lesson planning at this stage. You need to get in the classroom, observe how things go and how information is presented, and see how the pacing actually works. I agree with the others that organizing home would be more useful at this stage.
I agree. You need to be in the classroom a little longer to see what pace your cooperating teacher and the students establish. Then you'll be able to plan your lessons!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Fanatic

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookReader813 View Post
I really think mrachelle87 was trying to be helpful, but it may have come across a little snarky.

Actually, planning meals ahead of time and using the crockpot a few times a week would be a great way for you to free up time in the evenings for your family. Less time making dinner!

I agree. You need to be in the classroom a little longer to see what pace your cooperating teacher and the students establish. Then you'll be able to plan your lessons!
I don't understand what was snarky. I was just giving a quick suggestion.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:05 PM
Companion

Midwestern USA
Substitute Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrachelle87 View Post
I don't understand what was snarky. I was just giving a quick suggestion.
I didn't mean to insinuate that you were being snarky, but I can see where it might be misconstrued as that. I apologize if you think I was putting you down! That was not my intention at all.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:20 PM
Enthusiast

NY of course!
Special Education Teacher
Quote:
This scares me a bit as I have to commute to my school 30 min every day and make time for my ten year old daughter, step-son, and husband.

Since time sounds so precious, I am trying to prepare ahead whatever I can.
Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!
Well, you talked about your home life. Your kids and husband. You asked about planning ahead. You said ANY comments or suggestions are appreciated. Yet, when someone gives you a hint about maybe preparing ahead for meals, you aren't very appreciative. (I won't call you snarky because that would just be snarky)
Getting your home life in order is a must. Organization in every aspect of your life is a must. Yes, that is helpful.

Tags
ahead, planning