A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 12-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Novice

Kindergarten Prep Teacher
Signing in

As January is approaching, I think it is time to have my students "sign in" when they arrive to the classroom. What are some ways I can do this? I was thinking about laminating blank name plates and each student can sign their name on one. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Comrade

Preschool Teacher
I have done name plates like you mentioned. I've also had the kids names printed out on paper and put them on a clipboard and put it next to where the parents sign in and out and they write their name next to the printed name. I've also done just blank paper and instructed the kids to sign in each morning. I've had success with each one!
Old 12-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Novice

Kindergarten Prep Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaly View Post
I have done name plates like you mentioned. I've also had the kids names printed out on paper and put them on a clipboard and put it next to where the parents sign in and out and they write their name next to the printed name. I've also done just blank paper and instructed the kids to sign in each morning. I've had success with each one!
Thank you for the tips! @msaly
Old 12-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Connoisseur

New York
3rd Grade Teacher
You mean you want them to physically write their name every day or you want a way to determine who is in and who isn't?
Old 12-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Companion

Preschool Teacher
I have a name plate with each students name on it that I laminated and put a magnet on the back. When they come in, they get their name plate from a basket and place it on the white board and use a dry erase marker to write their name under it. I usually only do this 2x/week because it takes a really long time for 19 kids to sign in

Ive also done different versions of signing in, like having a sign up sheet for a popular center, like computers, or having students sign in to do an art activity.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:15 AM
Aficionado

OREGON
Having them sign in is such a great way to track writing skills.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:34 AM
Enthusiast

California
Preschool/Adult School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Having them sign in is such a great way to track writing skills.
Which is why after many different types of sign-ins, I have moved to having them write their names in small notebooks. It is a great way to see their growth through the year.

Also, as they progress, they can write their last name or a small word wall I have, or their friends' names or family names.

I have used slips of paper which I would put in their portfolios or they would take home, but I got sick of all the slips. I have used a roster in big print where they wrote the name next to their name but whenever I got a new student I had to change it. I have used chart paper on the wall where I wrote their names in highlighter and they traced over until they were ready to write independently, but you can't put it in a portfolio.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:31 AM
Companion

Preschool Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmom View Post
Which is why after many different types of sign-ins, I have moved to having them write their names in small notebooks. It is a great way to see their growth through the year.

Also, as they progress, they can write their last name or a small word wall I have, or their friends' names or family names.

I have used slips of paper which I would put in their portfolios or they would take home, but I got sick of all the slips. I have used a roster in big print where they wrote the name next to their name but whenever I got a new student I had to change it. I have used chart paper on the wall where I wrote their names in highlighter and they traced over until they were ready to write independently, but you can't put it in a portfolio.
I went through the same thing trying to find the best way for them to have consistent practice and for me to have portfolio samples. Even though they write on the board and its erased each day, I do a small group handwriting activity every Friday to have a name writing sample for the portfolio. I love the idea of small notebooks though. I've been wanting to try journaling, maybe I can use journals as a sign in instead
Old 01-08-2014, 04:51 PM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
I used the paper clipboard method and then someone got the form added to their portfolio at the end of the day so we could have updated forms to track writing. I never had a rhyme for who it was that won the form and the kids never knew. It just showed up in the binder. I didn't use the computer to generate the name examples, I would write it out one a Monday and then copy it. Often I would write it in front of them.

Tags
signing