A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 11-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Companion

Special Education Teacher
Catholic schools?

Does anybody here work at one? What are the work conditions like?

I was talking to my dad, and he said if I ever plan on teaching again, I should find a Catholic school to work at. The reason being that (hopefully) if there are discipline problems the kid would just be thrown out. My dad said that a) they aren't going to let a kid run wild in one because everyone is paying tuition and parents wouldn't allow that to happen and b) since it's private, they can completely expel someone for repeated offenses without the huge paper trail public schools need.

Yes, I know some low income areas have "voucher" programs for private schools now, so that makes a difference too.

I think he's right though. If years down the road I ever want to give it another go, I think this is what I'm going to try to do.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I'm in a study hall right this second.

I LOVE my job. Search my old posts, and you'll see tons of reasons why.

Right now 25 Seniors are sitting in front of me, dead silent... you can hear the sounds of the keyboard it's so quiet. Discipline in my school is an absolute non issue.

All schools, Catholic and otherwise, are different, so do your research carefully. But there are lots of reasons why we're bursting at the seams.

As to salary, I make more than some of my local public school counterparts-- but that's probably not the norm.

I'll add more tonight.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:33 AM
Companion

Special Education Teacher
Thank you!

My dad went to a Catholic Jesuit high school, and my mom went to a Catholic school for the first two years of high school. Granted, times were different back then, but my dad said he was able to breeze right through college courses he took at the community college after the fact because he was so well prepared from being taught by nuns and priests.

I know that today, there aren't as many nun and priest teachers, though. But it doesn't mean the teachers aren't quality, regardless.

I grew up in Ohio and I think about the Catholic schools near me while I was growing up, and all were football powerhouses, had beautiful facilities (for both academics *and* athletics) and several had notable alumni (LeBron James being one of them). I went to a very highly ranked public high school myself, but had friends in the Catholic schools back then, and all are extremely successful now. One loved his school so much, he went back for a second bachelors in social studies education and a masters in ed. admin, and now he works there full time (he isn't a teacher or an admin, but some other kind of role). He absolutely loves it!

In the words of my dad, "In the Catholic school, their philosophy is learn, or GET OUT!"

I would gladly work for less pay, if I was actually able to do my job, and the kids wanted to learn what I was teaching about.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Habitué

I think it REALLY depends on the school. I've heard wonderful things from some, like Alice, and horror stories from others. I also don't think you can go into any school expecting zero behavior issues. You'd be setting yourself up for failure. I know that at some private schools, it can be the opposite of what you describe. They're not going to kick out a kid very easily because they're paying hefty tuition and parents hold all of the power. Your best bet would be researching and visiting individual schools. Don't go by what your parents experienced or are telling you from their days as students.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Cohort

CA
High School Teacher
I currently work at a semi-rural, suburban public school in a middle class neighborhood. The kids are the nicest kids I've ever worked with - I ask them to stop a behavior and they do. They listen to me, turn in their homework, work hard, and the worst behavior I've encountered is interrupting.

I think it really just depends on the school and the area, not necessarily private or public.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Aficionado

USA
Honestly, I think it's less about whether there are disciplinary issues and more about how they're addressed. I think it's valid that you don't want to deal with a lot of disciplinary issues, but to the extent that you have them, I think it's important as a teacher to expect and want to do well with those kids, given the proper support. Being in a Catholic school won't absolve you of that responsibility, nor will it guarantee that discipline problems won't exist. Catholic schools also vary considerably in Ohio - some are predominantly in Suburban areas and will mirror wealthier public schools, while some will specifically seek out kids from rough backgrounds that will inherently have discipline problems.

I haven't read a lot of your other posts about your current situation, so I don't have the full story of your current experiences, but discipline issues don't have to be a nightmare.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Connoisseur

Louisiana
CHEMISTRY
I love teaching in a Catholic school. I have taught at both diocesan and independent Catholic schools. The last two years I have been at a private Baptist school which was the school from HE**! There was no discipline, no curriculum, and no administration. This was a school that charged parents $8000 per student in an area where cost of living is not high. If you could write the check, your child could attend. I had many students who had been kicked out of public schools but their parents had money and could afford to send them to private school and this school accepted them. Last year, we caught a student smoking a joint and nothing was done after the parents made a nice donation to the school. Students were allowed to re-do work until they passed. This was a logistical nightmare. At the end of the 9 weeks, if they did not like their grade, they wanted to redo things until their grade was what they and their parents wanted. I was teaching an AP class and a student copied a research paper from Wikipedia (turned it in electronically without taking out the Wikipedia hyperlinks) and I had to allow him to redo it--no other penalties. The straw that broke the camel's back was they wanted me to give an athlete a C that finished my class with a 59.9 and I refused. The headmaster and I came to the mutual conclusion that I was not a good fit for the school. I am back in Catholic school and love it. We do not keep students just because they can pay. Just be careful--what I am saying is that not all private schools (or all Catholic) schools are the same. Just like you hear stories of good and bad public schools there are good and bad private schools.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Right. You simply cannot generalize. Just as with public, and charter, and every other kind of school: there are some very good, some very bad, and a whole lot that fall in between. The trick is to do your homework and find out which ones you're talking to.

Both my husband and I have been incredibly fortunate to land in very good schools.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Devotee

Illinois
Middle School Teacher
I love working in my Catholic school but we do not expel anyone. Even when it is very obvious we should. It depends on the school I would think
Old 11-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Novice

East Coast
It depends on the school and the area the school is in, how much support the school receives from the parish, etc. There are good ones and bad ones and in-between, as others have said.

There can be just as many discipline problems, unfortunately, as public, depending on the school.

Others are fortunate to have far lower incidents and much higher respect for adults and teachers.

Tags
catholic, schools