A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 11-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Habitué

3rd/4th grade special education
Worried about observation yesterday

I had an observation yesterday during math. I'm supposed to have two paras with me - one F/T and one P/T. My F/T para has been out for 2 months and counting for another one of her workman's comp injuries and my P/T was out yesterday for whatever her reason was. There was a sub for my F/T para, but not for my P/T. So, we get into our math groups. I put the sub with my smaller math group and me with my larger group. I usually have a para work one-on-one with my one very difficult student but I was short a person so I couldn't do that. Anyway, my sub struggled with the small group because he wasn't used to working with them so I had to keep checking on them instead of just working with my group. Even worse, I didn't have any help for my one difficult student and she pulled out all the stops during the observation - rolling on the floor for a bit, getting up and wandering around the room a couple of times, playing with "toys" rather than not doing her work and rebelling when I took stuff away from her by turning her chair backwards and crossing her arms across her chest. I spent at least 50% of the lesson dealing with her.

My supervisor left when I was going over the homework. By the way, I warned her about this student in advance, but I'm still nervous. Should I email her and explain that I was down a para? She should know this, but I don't think it will register with her.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Multitudinous

Texas
I wouldn't worry. It sounds like the admin got an authentic observation. If you're still concerned then I would mention it at your post observation meeting.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Guru

I'm glad she saw it. Hope it all "registers"!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Habitué

Midwest
currently K-3 SPED, soon to be 2nd
You know... I always worry about getting observed at times like this, as well. But, then I think, "It's about time they see all the crap I'm dealing with when I'm short on paras/dealing with a lone extreme problem child." Better to see what really goes on in your classroom than to think you've got it easy, even when you're short-staffed. If your admin gives you any trouble, then explain. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
What evaluation plan is your district using? You need to go into your post ready to talk about how you use your paras, the situation with sub/absent para. You did what you could do in difficult circumstances...
Old 11-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Habitué

Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza View Post
What evaluation plan is your district using? You need to go into your post ready to talk about how you use your paras, the situation with sub/absent para. You did what you could do in difficult circumstances...
We use the Danielson model and this was my first observation of the year so I'm not sure what to expect. I hope she sees it the way you do...
Old 11-19-2013, 08:51 PM
Rookie

I smiled when I read your post because I went through the same worries and we use Danielson too... we have a new principal this year and he is tough...rumor has it that he has 1/2 of the staff on improvement plans following the formal observation- I think it all depends on your principal. Hopefully yours will be more understanding than mine is. Hang in there
Old 11-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast

NY of course!
Special Education Teacher
Hopefully you will get feedback from the observation and this will show administration the difficulties you are having when you don't have a para on a regular basis and who know the students.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Did you get your write-up back? How did it go?
Old 11-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Habitué

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
Did you get your write-up back? How did it go?
No, but thanks for asking. Last year it took me over a week to get feedback so I have no idea what to expect.

Tags
observation, worried, yesterday