A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Special Education

Old 11-19-2013, 05:48 AM
Companion

MI
Help me identify this "script"!

As a teacher in an ASD classroom, I'm very used to out-of-context scripting from my students. Eventually, curiosity gets the better of me and I start to wonder where a frequently-occuring script comes from. In the past, I've asked other students, asked other teachers who have older kids who are watching TV, and even googled the quote to find out where it comes from. But I'm stumped on this most recent one. The most interesting this is that it changes. The format is always,

"__________ was dreadful."

The first time we heard it was, "The Spongebob Squarepants movie was dreadful". Most recently, it's, "Hot Wheels was dreadful". It's done in an alternate voice, so I'm certain it's a script, and not a spontaneous review. Any ideas?

Old 11-19-2013, 06:16 AM
Enthusiast

NY of course!
Special Education Teacher
Maybe the student heard an adult say it about a movie they saw and they are just repeating it with their own movie inserted. One student I had would say he didn't want to do work in class because he was "retired". His mom said his grandfather frequently said that at home so he just picked it up
Old 11-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Companion

MI
I would be surprised if he was improvising within a script (this is a kid who scripts in a perfect British accent when pulling from UK television shows), but I'd also be surprised if there was a show with this much complaining about such a wide range of entertainment. I'm stumped.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Fanatic

Louisiana
It's Simon Cowell, or someone off of a reality show.

Tags
identify, script