A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 11-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Rookie

USA
What's your view on how behaviour students should be handled?

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are when it comes to students that are severe behavioural problems.
I know all students are different and situations vary, but when you get one of those students who is simply out of control on a daily basis no matter what efforts are made by teachers and admin, how do you feel they should be dealt with?

My school has a handful of these type of students - they can be aggressive towards other students, defiant, distracting, rarely do any work, etc. Some of them have tried to bolt off of school property during recess, classes sometimes have to be evacuated because they start throwing things and become a danger, some can't even go out for recess because their behaviours are not safe for the others.

I'm sure most teachers have had this type of student before, where they can take up 90% of your time on a regular basis. Of course you can't give up on these students, even when you're at your wits end, but when do you think "something" has to be done because it's simply not fair to you or the rest of the class to have this type of student wreaking havoc all the time, day in day out?

The other day a parent was incredibly upset that the school was sending his son home based on his out of control behaviour - and the parent had been warned that if this happened again he would have to be sent home. However, the staff and admin agreed that something has to be done to get through to the student and parents (who think it's the schools problem to deal with), and maybe getting sent home sometimes is the solution...

In order to get students placed in a 'behaviour class' in our board, it's a very LONG and difficult process. And they can only take so many students at a time, so the wait can be a while. How does your school/district handle these extreme cases?

Old 11-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Groupie

Maryland
US History & World History
Severe behavioral problem students can be recommended for an IEP and then get put in self-contained if we can prove the behavior has become a detriment to their learning. Depending on the child, their parent's resistance and pressure from the teachers; this process may not take too long in MS. This is much more rare in HS.

At the HS level, if the problem student is overage (they were 15 or older in MS) and/or under-credited; we have schools in the district that serve these students exclusively. If a child is an extreme behavior problem and they are overage or will not graduate on time; we can try to transfer them to one of these schools.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Cohort

Virginia
High School Teacher
Well, in high school, I'd call security and have them removed if they're being aggressive. They can throw things at the police and get pepper-sprayed if they want.

But since my students are rarely running away during RECESS, I'm assuming this is elementary and a slightly softer touch may be in order. :P
Old 11-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-6 Sped Resource Teacher
I feel very fortunate that my district has a severe needs behavior program for violent/aggressive students, and it doesn't take an act of congress to get them into it either. My para was talking about a kid they had last year that "terrorized" the school until November when he was finally put into the behavior program. I didn't say it, but I was thinking having a kid removed after only a couple months in the school is really pretty speedy when it comes to these things!

My last district closed their behavior program because "no one needed it" (aka they didn't want to fund it). We had some of the most severe behavior I've ever seen/even heard of last year without these severe students in the school, so I can't imagine what kind of behavior the "severe" students have to be classified that way. One of my teammates from last year has a student that used to be in the self-contained behavior program and she has literally stabbed him in the face with a pen, repeatedly punched and kicked him, pulled his hair, and thrown heavy objects at him in addition to completely destroying his room. The only thing he's allowed to do is call her parents. The office will not take students for behavior issues since these are "teacher problems."
Old 11-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Companion

Preschool Teacher
My district has several behavior programs, but typically as a last resort. We have a few extreme behavior students in 3rd-5th that have IEPs and are on shortened school days (7:45-11:00). It seems like generally behavior problems are solved by either assigning the student a 1:1 para or placing them in self contained.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Multitudinous

Texas
Both districts I've worked at that have had behavior problems have had classrooms that these students would go to when their behaviors escalated. At my last school district, we didn't really have severe behavior problems.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Cohort

Upper Elementary Teacher
Here a FREE BOOK on how to teach these students.

Tags
behaviour, handled, students, view