A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 11-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Fanatic

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
You Can't Please Everyone!

As a first year administrator, I've come to terms with the fact that no matter how hard I work, I'll never be able to please 100% of my staff.

I had to have a difficult conversation with a teacher recently. I ended the conversation with the following sentences: "We have to do what's best for our kids. Are you asking me to do what's easier for YOU? Keep in mind that what's most convenient for US isn't always in the best interest of our students!"

As per usual, I was very calm and professional. I think I got my point across, though.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Phenom

Midwest
That stinks... but way to stay professional...
Old 11-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Aficionado

good for you staying professional.

But as a first year administrator, please keep in mind that just because it is better for a child, doesn't mean it is reasonable to request of a teacher. Teachers are people too and deserve consideration.

For instance, I knew a student that claimed he needed one-on-one tutoring every day in order to keep up with information. He said that he got too distracted during class and wanted to have his History teacher teach him before school, alone, so he could have a jumpstart on the material. A first year administrator in the school promised the student and parent that his teacher would devote her prep time before school to him every day. The admin said the same thing you did - we need to do what is best for the child, not what is easiest for the teacher.

That was incredibly disrespectful towards the teacher.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Fanatic

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndTimeAround View Post
good for you staying professional.

But as a first year administrator, please keep in mind that just because it is better for a child, doesn't mean it is reasonable to request of a teacher. Teachers are people too and deserve consideration.

For instance, I knew a student that claimed he needed one-on-one tutoring every day in order to keep up with information. He said that he got too distracted during class and wanted to have his History teacher teach him before school, alone, so he could have a jumpstart on the material. A first year administrator in the school promised the student and parent that his teacher would devote her prep time before school to him every day. The admin said the same thing you did - we need to do what is best for the child, not what is easiest for the teacher.

That was incredibly disrespectful towards the teacher.
I have to be certain to closely follow the Master Agreement. Our teachers' union is incredibly vocal and quite strong--so as administrators, we have to be certain that we don't request anything unreasonable.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Phenom

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
That's why I could never be an administrator-I'm too much of a people pleaser!
Old 11-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Habitué

Sounds like you're doing a great job!
Old 11-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
It sounds like you've caught on quickly to the amazing balancing act administrators must do. The more leadership classes I take, the more I realize that I do not want to be an actual principal. You folks have it rough!
Old 11-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
My hat's off to you as well, I could never make it as an administrator-I'd end up on the news!

The fact that you can't please everyone is the first real lesson I learned in teaching-I think it's important to realize that.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Cohort

"The best interest of the student" can be an overused phrase for justifying a myriad of requests. I'm not saying that you, personally, are throwing it around. However, sometimes the phrase is even uttered in situations irrelevant to the students.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Groupie

Out west somewhere!
I agree that what you said was profesional and I'm totally not knocking your roll as VP, but can I just remind you that you were a teacher before you were the boss. Please keep in mind your experiences as a teacher and your new roll as an admin.