A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 10-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Companion

IL
High School Teacher
Middle school enrichment class ideas

If you could teach any additional subject to a mixed ages group of middle school students (10-14), what would you teach? Classes are called "seminars" and last either 90 minutes once a week, or 30 minutes 3 times a week. Each class lasts only one week. Students cannot have any homework.

Should be high interest, able to do different activities with, and meaningful to students' lives.

So far I can think of military and war, or simple psychology.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Aficionado

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
I think you should pick something that you are interested in. I'm facing the same question right now because we are putting together RTI programs with electives that we will design of our choice. The ideas I came up with are: engineering, archaeology, and web design. These are all things I could definitely create a lesson for once a week, and could do things that would be enriching for the students.

I think the thing to remember here is that it should be fun for both you and them. Whether or not it is meaningful to the student's lives is probably optional because, due to your course they might find something that really interests them and that they may want to pursue (and thus make it meaningful to their lives).
Old 10-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Connoisseur

California
Social Studies
I did an enrichment class specifically for honors kids a few years ago. We did units on engineering, science fiction, and debate among a few others. I loved it and would happily do any of them as a full class.

Tags
class, enrichment, ideas, middle, school