A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 10-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Comrade

USA
Elementary Teacher
Chatty Students :/

Any tips on how to deal with students who will not stop talking? Even if I am right next to them telling them to stop the continue to talk right in front of me! I feel like I am trying lots of different strategies (class dojo, positive reinforcement, explaining expectations, etc), but it is NOT working!

Old 10-19-2013, 03:53 AM
Cohort

Southern California
I have the same issue. I have tables rather than desks. I keep asking the P for desks. It looks like I might get some, so I hope that will help. One thing that bugs me is one of my students has this sly smile whenever I remind her to stop talking or focus on her work. I'm trying not to let that bug me. My class responds well to the marble jar. When I put my hand in the jar and shake around the marbles, they'll stop talking. I've heard of dojo- I should look into that.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:34 AM
Novice

East Coast
I have several that are chatty. I really wanted to do the cooperative, table groups, but some just can't handle it. Currently, several are by themselves, and others are in groups.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseLover View Post
Any tips on how to deal with students who will not stop talking? Even if I am right next to them telling them to stop the continue to talk right in front of me! I feel like I am trying lots of different strategies (class dojo, positive reinforcement, explaining expectations, etc), but it is NOT working!
Talking can be quite a challenge. Here is something to consider.

If you have it as a rule in your classroom, and the students are not following the rule, then there should be a consequence when it is broken. A warning can be first, but I would suggest that only once. It isn't nearly as important as what consequences you use as you use them consistently. Give a chance for the consequences to work. The students might rebel a bit the first week. Within 3 weeks, hopefully it will be better.

Also, I have found classical music in the background helps to reduce talking some.

Tags
chatty, students