A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 10-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Fanatic

North Carolina
2nd grade teacher
Would this raise eyebrows for you?

I have a student that is very different from the others. She is of average intelligence and is very social with her peers...too social, you might say. All day every day she makes noises. Usually it's animal noises like meowing or "boinging" noises. It's not only distracting, but it has me wondering. Would you say this is normal behavior? She is totally unaware that she is doing it. When I ask her to stop, she gives me a blank smile, stops, then meows a moment later. Hmmm..

Old 10-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Comrade

Virginia
3rd Grade Rdg/Sci
I had an ADHD student my first year of teaching, who howled like a wolf and made other animal sounds rather frequently. He couldn't seem to stop. I'm not sure he was cognizant he was doing it either-- it just came out. He was prescribed medication for ADHD before he came to me, but his mom did not like giving it to him. When she did give him the meds, he was much calmer and didn't make the sounds.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Consider putting her on a contract...could be she's simply unaware of the noises she's making and working with a checklist/contract old I've her feedback. Could be its something more (Tourette's ?), so the contract could be one way of documenting for further exploration.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Phenom

Sp. Ed. Teacher
lol, I have a first grader who does this. I'm sure he is unaware when he starts making them but as soon as someone (student or adult) tells him to stop, it escalates and he begins doing it louder (he has a little smirk on his face). On good days he is able to stop with the reminder of a treat and on bad days he is more able to stop, when told that each time he makes a noise and is politely asked to stop and he doesn't then he will earn a tally mark. Each tally mark is 1 minute of sitting quietly at his desk during recess. So far he has missed 2 minutes of recess.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Devotee

2nd Grade Teacher
Are you thinking Tourettes? Perhaps an informal observation by the school psychologist would help? This is what I did when I suspected a student may have had Tourette's and it turned out to be true. It was a tough year but turned out ok for all involved.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Fanatic

My youngest used to hum or whistle or make noises. It sometimes is just unconscious. The more my youngest had to focus the more the unconscious noises would come out.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast

Virginia
3rd Grade Teacher
The only time I've seen behavior like that was from a boy with high-functioning Autism... but assuming this behavior is the only thing off, I'd consider HFA to be highly unlikely. It could be Tourette's, but with that, don't they usually know what they are doing, and just can't help it?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:15 PM

Florida
It could also be a manipulative ploy for attention. I think you'd have to start with a behavioral contract that has meaning for the student and go from there. Has the student indicated that she wants to stop but can't?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Aficionado

New Jersey, US
Looking for a job
Document the behaviors for a few weeks and attempt some behavior interventions and if those are unsuccessful, contact the school psychologist/child study team to ask for the psych to come in to observe the student around Thanksgiving or so.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:20 AM
Aficionado

OREGON
My GS has ADHD, and has to constantly be moving. If he can't move, he makes noises. So, I suspect is may be a symptom of something.

Tags
eyebrows, raise