A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 10-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Habitué

Ummmmm.........

I hope I don't get a lot of enemies for asking this, but is there anyone who actually likes the common core standards better? Granted, I teach the extensions of the common core, but I actually like these a lot better than the other standard course of study. Perhaps that's just because more work was done to decide what would be adapted from the regular standards for my kids. Before, it was done in a generic way.

I am loving them. Please don't kill me.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Enthusiast

Midwest
3rd Grade--Lutheran School
I really like that the common core math standards are narrower and deeper. Before, our state standards for math were a mile wide and an inch deep.

I'm still not sure on the language ones...
Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
I see a lot of potential good in the standards. A huge portion of our students are transient. It would be amazing if we got a student in November who was in about the same place at his or her old school. It would also be wonderful if the student who moved to our state wouldn't have to worry about a second set of graduation tests.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Connoisseur

Maryland
US History & World History
The CCSS for 6-12 History/Social Studies are very vague compared to Maryland's VSCs (the state standards). The CCSS are only about teaching general literacy and writing skills without any specific context. Maryland's VSCs are very content specific for each grade/course which I find more helpful.

In Maryland, American Gov't is the only tested social studies course at the secondary level. Since I don't teach American Gov't, I really don't care either way in regards to what standards we use.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Aficionado

Middle of the USA
HS English & Psych, Adjunct too
I like the CCSS for ELA 6-12 better than the ones we had before. I like they are more skill-based instead of content-based.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Cohort

CA
High School Teacher
I like the concept of the standards, but I'm really worried about how implementation is going to look.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Habitué

North Carolina
7th Grade Teacher
I began my education program as the state curriculum was being phased out and the common core phased in, so I have no experience with the NC Standard Course of Study. I LOVE the changes to the social studies curriculum with the essential standards at the middle grades level. Honestly, what I teach in 4th grade math/science is the same stuff I learned in 4th grade. I'm really not seeing much difference in terms of what is being taught in the classroom ?? My fellow Republicans have lambasted it though--I still find myself asking, what are they so mad about? I wish someone would actually show me the changes from NCSCOS and CC--maybe I'm just oblivious but I don't see too much different other than shifting around concepts to a grade above or below and moving their concepts in. Someone told me CC doesn't teach that President Washington was the first president of the USA. Um, not sure where they are getting them from--because after all,how can you teach US HISTORY in 5th grade and 11th grade and not mention that?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Connoisseur

Maryland
US History & World History
^^^ The 6-12 History/Social Studies CCSS never specify that you must teach any specific content at any specific grade-level, it is all about teaching literacy skills.

When you look at the three grade levels these are broken into - 6th through 8th grade, 9th & 10th grade and 11th & 12th grade - all of the skills are pretty much the same (word-for-word) with a few extras added on as the grade increases. No content mentioned anywhere.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Companion

IL
High School Teacher
I really like the ELA common core standards for 6-12. I don't have much familiarity with the old ones.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Aficionado

Middle of the USA
HS English & Psych, Adjunct too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue! View Post
^^^ The 6-12 History/Social Studies CCSS never specify that you must teach any specific content at any specific grade-level, it is all about teaching literacy skills.

When you look at the three grade levels these are broken into - 6th through 8th grade, 9th & 10th grade and 11th & 12th grade - all of the skills are pretty much the same (word-for-word) with a few extras added on as the grade increases. No content mentioned anywhere.
Our state is using the state standards for content, the CCSS for literacy.

Tags
ummmmm