A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 10-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Observations

Used to be in my district that tenured had one scheduled observation per year, non tenured had 3-4. Our state is now requiring new eval systems. Some have signed on to Marzano, Danielson, etc. we are doing Marshall...ten ten-minute observations, drop in, per teacher. I've been observed twice already...so ar, so good...gotta say, I do think unannounced minis paint a more realistic 'snapshot' of a classroom and teacher practices than a once a year dog and pony show...that plus my P does a non-observation swing thru most as anyway so it's comfortable, I feel like he understands who I am as a teacher and that my observations won't be 'gotcha' situations. 8 more to go...

Any changes in observations/eval for you?

Old 10-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Fanatic

Ohio
Middle/High School English
We only have one formal observation per evaluation. We now have two walk throughs per evaluation. This means he sees us at least six times. It used to be two formal observations for a total of four.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Connoisseur

Arkansas
Upper Elementary Teacher
We switched to the Danielson model. Our P is in our rooms daily anyway, so the only real thing that is changing is more paperwork.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Fanatic

Land of Sunshine
MS Language Arts
I kind of prefer the old way.

We have four 10 minute informals throughout the year, plus one formal. I don't think my problem is the observation system, per se, but rather the way it's implemented in my county (they say it isn't a gotcha but it seriously feels like one sometimes).

Even though it used to be only one observation per year, my Admin used to just drop in every now and again. No written feedback. No freaking out if you were doing everything on Marzano perfectly. I liked it a lot more when they would just come by to watch and engage in the class. I felt like they were more looking to see what you were and how you were growing as a teacher rather than just rating things on a list.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Phenom

Sp. Ed. Teacher
Once we have our continuous contracts, we don't have any more observations. My administration walks through our rooms almost daily though.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Cohort

We are using the Danielson model in my district. Our P has agreed to "announce" all of our observations this year. We are using oncoursesystems.com for our pre and post conference questions. PAIN in the butt! Just when I thought I was good (I was tenured this September) this happens in NJ. UGH.

How about those SGO's? That may even be a bigger pain in the butt! And then the SGP's. That's horrible to even fathom. I have made very good progress with my students in the past, but it's hard to have that horrible test tied to you.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
When I was department chair, I did unannounced observations. It gave me a better idea of what was going on, and it gave people less time to panic.

At this point, I get observed once a year. My chair has already started getting them out of the way. But we're a department of 22 (I think) with one brand new teacher who will be observed a number of times. So he gets to me when he gets to me.

I don't do anything special for observations, other than to make sure I'm not giving a test or a quiz. What he sees is what would have been going on had he not been in the room. If he ever forgot to warn me he was showing up, it would be fine with me.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
Apparently, they've changed for us this year, but I wouldn't know. My VP came in to observe me today and I said flat out, "Today is not a good day to observe me, I'm sick as a dog." She smiled and responded it was okay, but when she heard me talk she frowned and said I sounded germy and she'd come another day. That was the last thing I needed to worry about today.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Fanatic

Virginia
3rd Grade Teacher
With our new evaluation process, evaluators can either do 3 unannounced drop-ins and one formal, 45 minute observation, or 6 drop-in observations.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Aficionado

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
I'll be observed twice this semester, and my P wants me to give her the dates. It sounded like it's not just me, it's every teacher, but I'm probably wrong.
I prefer several unannounced visits, and maybe 1 or 2 scheduled visits. She does walk-throughs a lot, but they're very short.

I feel that if all you get is 1 or 2 visits, the odss are against you. What if you have one off day (you're sick, the kids are just having an off day) and that visit means a lot? Having several unannounced visits are better, because they paint a clearer picture. You night have 1 off day, but the other 5-9 should good days should balance it out.

Tags
observations