A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 10-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Aficionado

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
Late Additions

We've had like 6 students added to my classes over the last few weeks, and they completely missed the entire first unit, all of the procedures (of which I have many), rules, and everything we've done in the classroom. Also some students keep being switched into my classroom. I've had some of them come in at lunch to get information and everything, but it's not enough time to go over everything, and it doesn't sink in.

How do you guys help new students transition into your classroom?

I'm thinking I might task a leadership student with guiding them.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Aficionado

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
We get this all the time. Students leave (get locked up, then come back) and we continuously get new students as they're getting kicked out of their schools (by April, 50 % of our students could be brand new)
I don't go over any procedures or rules with them. The only thing I tell them is where to sit and that when they come in, they will pick up a warm up from the tray. Everything else they will learn along the way. There is really no reason to waste any time.

As far as what they've missed, you exempt them from that. So if they come in halfway through the unit, you either catch them up with things if they didn't miss a lot, and / or modify the test.
I have to do this all the time.
Sometimes I get a student 2 days before a test. I actually give them the material they missed (print the powerpoint), they take the notes, while others are taking their test, so at least they still learn some of it, but that will be their grade for classwork, and no grade for test.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Aficionado

I think it would depend on the class and the grade. In my class students have to know the information because there will be a state exam at the end. I would exempt some things, but not actually tests.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Connoisseur

California
Social Studies
I drop them in and let them go. It doesn't take long for them to pick up on the flow of the room, the procedures, etc. if you've got them in place for the rest of the kids. As far as content I usually give them whatever test we are on but I don't count it in the gradebook. This gives me a good sense of where they are.

As far as missed concepts, I don't bother. Unless it is a skill that we'll be needing later then I don't see how I can justify making a kid do more work simply because of a transfer.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Multitudinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockguykev View Post
I drop them in and let them go. It doesn't take long for them to pick up on the flow of the room, the procedures, etc. if you've got them in place for the rest of the kids. As far as content I usually give them whatever test we are on but I don't count it in the gradebook. This gives me a good sense of where they are.

As far as missed concepts, I don't bother. Unless it is a skill that we'll be needing later then I don't see how I can justify making a kid do more work simply because of a transfer.
This is basically how I handle things.

Tags
additions, late