A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Second Grade

Old 09-24-2013, 04:58 AM
Novice

Indiana
3rd Grade Teacher
Question from a 3rd grade teacher...

As a third grade teacher, I've noticed that most incoming students have not had very through teaching in math and science, and that they've been predominantly taught in reading and phonics. While I know that reading skills are vital, being the very foundation that all other subjects are built upon, I'm curious to know if this is the case in your 2nd grade classroom. They know their basic skills in math, but very little problem solving and almost no prior knowledge of science vocabulary. Just curious. Please share your classroom practices if you have a minute.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Aficionado

USA
I can see that. Reading has been such an emphasis over the past decade with federal programs and intervention development, and I think math has taken a back seat in that respect. I also think computation is given such an emphasis in primary (historically) with problem-solving and application taking a back seat. Same with science - I see less emphasis on "scientific thinking" and more on just learning some facts. For that matter, I think the same is true with social studies. I think this is one reason why CCSS has been a jolt for some folks is that it has required more in those departments.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:38 PM
Companion

I teach math for 90 minutes minimum each day. The rest of the day is spent on Lang. Arts with science and social studies integrated into the informational text standards.
Of the 90 minutes of math, I spend maybe 5-10 minutes on computation. I am using the word computation meaning memorization of the basic facts. The rest of the time is problem solving, number sense, and application.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:07 AM
Novice

Indiana
3rd Grade Teacher
90 minutes! Wow! That's pretty impressive. We have a mandatory 90 minute reading block so it's difficult to do much else for long periods of time. In what state do you teach?
Old 10-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Devotee

North Carolina
Special Education Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by janis View Post
As a third grade teacher, I've noticed that most incoming students have not had very through teaching in math and science, and that they've been predominantly taught in reading and phonics. While I know that reading skills are vital, being the very foundation that all other subjects are built upon, I'm curious to know if this is the case in your 2nd grade classroom. They know their basic skills in math, but very little problem solving and almost no prior knowledge of science vocabulary. Just curious. Please share your classroom practices if you have a minute.
No, not in my classroom. I focus on problem solving skills in Math all year long.I encourage them to think out the problems, to tell me how they got their answer and to explain their thinking. I also introduce science vocab when teaching each of the standards. Whether the class is actually retaining the information, well that's another question...
Old 10-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Guru

Southern NJ
2nd Grade Teacher
We do science 2 marking periods and social studies 2 marking periods. We have 75 minutes of math a day, 60 mins of reading, and 60 mins of writing.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Groupie

I teach Reading/Language Arts 2 1/2 hours a day; Math 1 hour a day; and Science once or twice a week for a half hour. Pretty much sums it up.

Tags
3rd, grade, question, teacher