A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 09-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
Fun classification activity

I just came up with this on the fly while in my 5th grade class today. We've already talked about classification and are now talking about invertebrates and vertebrates. I just thought of Classifying Spongebob! Basically we take all the characters from spongebob and the kids have to decide if they are vertebrates or invertebrates, then what sub-category- mammal, fish, echinoderm, mollusk, etc. It's great because they know the characters and basically all of the categories are covered!!

I'm trying to think of maybe a longer more extended activity, but for now the kids had a great time classifying spongebob

Old 09-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Habitué

Maine
High School Life Science
Cool idea! I used Spongebob patterns of inheritance worksheets that I found online last year to give the kids practice at Punnett squares. Perhaps a bit "old" for them, but I think they enjoy looking at something other than grasshoppers with different length legs and mice with different colors of fur.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Companion

kindergarten
I love the idea! Sounds like fun. The kids will definately be engaged and will probably be looking for as many characters as they can to classify. Using humor and being down to earth is always as bonus in teaching.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Newcomer

This sounds like a wonderful idea! Something the kids would find fun while learning at the same time which are the important ingredients for any lesson!

Tags
activity, classification, fun