A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 09-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Companion

Missouri
2nd Grade Teacher
Love/hate relationship with teacher blogs

**WARNING: This post is going to mostly come off as a stream of consciousness as I am mostly just venting**

For the most part, I LOVE teaching blogs. I love gaining so many new ideas and just taking a peek into the classrooms of teachers around the world. However, lately I find myself comparing myself to these teachers. This ends with me feeling inadequate, creative, and like I possibly chose the wrong career.

When I look at the centers and the activities, all I think is, "Do I really suck since I haven't even started centers yet after six weeks due to behaviors?" I follow a second year teacher, and I become so envious of how easy she is making it all seem. She had so many great ideas her first year as well. Will this ever come easy for me? Am I just not a natural teacher?

These rooms just look so inviting and enriching, and then I feel bad for how my room looks. I start to feel that I am doing my students a disservice. Just once, I want all teacher bloggers to blog about a rough day, week, or even year just so I know that I'm normal. I need to know that I don't suck at my job just because some days I don't want to deal with my kids. I need to know that it will get better. I need to know that these teacher bloggers are NOT perfect and that they struggle as well.

Ugh...I know this is so off the wall, but I just needed to get it off my chest. I just need to know if anyone else out there runs a classroom that is not "blog-worthy?"

Old 09-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Fanatic

Virginia
3rd Grade Teacher
Everybody has different strengths, and I'd guess that most bloggers probably focus on theirs. Just remember, nobody is perfect... and if I were putting my experience out there on the internet, I'd probably focus on the things I know I kicked butt at, too.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Phenom

Northern CA
5th Grade
Blogs are like Facebook. People only post about the good.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Aficionado

New Brunswick, Canada
4th Grade Teacher
I hear you. Keep in mind that many of these bloggers are using their blogs to market themselves. If they ever needed a new job, employers would be likely to look them up and see this blog that is filled with wonderful ideas and gumdrops and fairy dust.

They don't want to blog about their bad day, because they don't want to have a future employer (or even a current employer) see that they struggled.

Keep in mind that blogging is biased. It will show the positives, and not so much of the negatives.

Don't judge yourself by what is posted, judge yourself based on whether your students are happy and learning.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Aficionado

also, they don't want to blog about bad days because it might come back and bite them in the butt.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Multitudinous

Texas
I know it's easier said then done, but you can't compare yourself to other teachers. Their situations are probably vastly different from yours, from class makeup to admin support to funding. And like Jem said, these teachers are not going to blog about their rough days, only their good days.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Connoisseur

CA
5th grade teacher
At various times throughout the past year plus a bit more (I'm a second year teacher) I could have written your post almost word for word!

I saw a shirt yesterday that said "May your life be as perfect as you make it seem on Facebook." It made me laugh, but it really expresses a valid point - we only show our best selves on the internet. I have to believe that for every AMAZING lesson made from scratch with beautiful fonts and clip art and professionally rendered anchor charts, there have to be 10 others that were made with index cards and chart paper markers, two of my go to items for activities in the classroom. Teacher bloggers showcase the best of the best on their blogs. I've realized through reading blogs that they will typically only highlight one or two things out of a week or two, so that really does tell me that they're showcasing the best. As they should - as a previous poster said, they are sometimes marketing their TPT products, or they are keeping this as part of their portfolio for future job seeking, etc. My room doesn't look as beautiful as those blog rooms either - I guess they work in a magical land with no fire marshals or restrictions when it comes to decorating.

I'm doing Daily 5 this year. We just finished week 3, and I'm hoping to have centers up and running in the next 2-3 weeks. Daily 5 takes a LONG time to set up. You are right to wait for centers until the kids can handle it behaviorally. Some classes will take longer.

Sometimes I have to take a break from those blogs for awhile because they can just be so intimidating and really more frustrating than helpful.

p.s. The ones that really frustrate me are the new teachers. You mentioned that second year teacher. But I have been thinking about starting a teaching instagram - I have SOME things together enough that I could potentially post about them. Not everything...just some things. I have to believe that's how it probably is for them, too.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:35 AM
Companion

USA
Primary Elementary Teacher
don't feel bad

I once had a co-worker who could have been one of your bloggers. Perfect room, high test scores, etc. She was always the first one there in the morning, the last one gone at night. Her marriage was in the toilet, her child was a psycho wreck, and she had few friends at school because she never had the time to converse. Easy choice for me.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Aficionado

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Giggles View Post
**WARNING: This post is going to mostly come off as a stream of consciousness as I am mostly just venting**

For the most part, I LOVE teaching blogs. I love gaining so many new ideas and just taking a peek into the classrooms of teachers around the world. However, lately I find myself comparing myself to these teachers. This ends with me feeling inadequate, creative, and like I possibly chose the wrong career.

When I look at the centers and the activities, all I think is, "Do I really suck since I haven't even started centers yet after six weeks due to behaviors?" I follow a second year teacher, and I become so envious of how easy she is making it all seem. She had so many great ideas her first year as well. Will this ever come easy for me? Am I just not a natural teacher?

These rooms just look so inviting and enriching, and then I feel bad for how my room looks. I start to feel that I am doing my students a disservice. Just once, I want all teacher bloggers to blog about a rough day, week, or even year just so I know that I'm normal. I need to know that I don't suck at my job just because some days I don't want to deal with my kids. I need to know that it will get better. I need to know that these teacher bloggers are NOT perfect and that they struggle as well.

Ugh...I know this is so off the wall, but I just needed to get it off my chest. I just need to know if anyone else out there runs a classroom that is not "blog-worthy?"
I vent on my blog. But then again I don't advertise my blog or share it around, and I don't attach my name to it. We all need a venting space. I know some teachers that like to pretend they never have problems, and hide it from everyone, but then take it out on their spouse or children at home. It's simply healthy to vent and every teacher has rough days that they may not want to tell you about or pretend don't exist. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I would just recommend if you do so that you do it anonymously because it can get you into trouble. I put my very very frustrated posts in a private folder that no one but myself can access.

Another reason that some people don't post rough days or classes is because it really is a requirement that a teacher stay positive. Sometimes the best way to stay positive is to think only about the good things that are happening. But I still think a vent every now and then is healthy.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Fanatic

Land of Sunshine
MS Language Arts
I stopped reading teaching blogs. i stopped blogging because I'm just not good at only presenting the positives. My teaching life is not rainbows and butterflies and unicorns and perfectly behaved children and a perfect work environment and perfectly adorable, perfectly planned units with perfect worksheets.

Awesome things happen in my classroom. But not every minute of every day with every child.

Tags
blogs, love or hate, relationship, teacher