A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 09-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Companion

Alternating boy-girl seating arrangement

Since I have such an even split of girls and boys in my class, I was thinking about alternating boy-girl down each of the rows (my rows face inward) for my seating arrangement.

I have a really great class, but many of the girls seem to be cliquey; same with the boys. I'd like to split them up, but don't know the dynamics enough yet to know the best move (first week!).

Is alternating boy-girl a good idea for 5th grade? Or not? I do have a very shy student who seems to be opening up to one of the sweet young ladies next to her, so I'd hate to split them up. I'm sure there's a way around that though (I have one more girl than boys).

Old 09-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Connoisseur

New York
3rd Grade Teacher
I try to keep my tables even with the # of boys and girls, but when I'm doing seating I base it more off of behavior (who can't be near who) than boy/girl. Sometimes a certain boy or girl need to be separated but usually it's a boy and a boy or a girl and a girl. Maybe give it more time so you get to know them a little more?
Old 09-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Companion

That's what I was thinking. I want to wait, but I know I definitely need to seperate 3 of the boys tomorrow and was hoping to do one big overhaul all at once.

Usually I base it purely off of behavior, but every time I look at it, it's just the cliquishness between girls and cliquishness between boys that is becoming the distraction. Of course, there are students who aren't any part of this.

Each table seats 2 students, so I was thinking about putting a girl and boy at each and then putting them into clusters.

Ahh...it seems like there's just such a science to this that I haven't figured out.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
I teach 5th grade, and I usually alternate boy-girl. I usually have them in pairs. It easy to make this into a group of 4 when needed. The system has worked well for me, and I agree with you that boy-girl is a good seating arrangement in 5th grade.

Tags
alternating, arrangement, boygirl, seating