A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Third Grade

Old 08-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Companion

MD
3rd Grade Teacher
Student who works very slow!

This year I have a student who works extremely slow and I am afraid she will fall behind with how fast our curriculum moves. She tests hugh on dibels and knows her stuff. I need help with ways to either motivate her to get her work done, or anything that could help. I hate keeping her out of recess and things like that, but don't want to send everything home either. Her mom is even concerned that her homework takes three hours. I usually do not assign a lot of homework, so I am trying to figure out what is going on.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
I had a slow worker last year but it was because she wanted everything beautiful, neat, colored in...I found using a silent count down timer was helpful for her....I got mine from our child study team...it has a red section that decreases as time elapses. It was quite effective.

It's the first one featured on this link:

http://www.friendshipcircle.org/blog...special-needs/
Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Companion

Texas.
Does she have an IEP?
Old 09-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Companion

USA
Primary Elementary Teacher
need more info

Is she "head in the clouds" slow or OCD slow or something else?
Old 09-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Novice

Indiana
3rd Grade Teacher
How well does she work on computer or iPads? I know this is not always an option, but for some, it does help.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
The OP hasn't been back since her original post in this thread.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Rookie

I have one like this too. I'm going to try the timer thing. He doesn't care if he misses part of his recess. He still works at the same pace during the recess time and doesn't motivate himself to get out and play. He has friends so that's not the issue. It's not an OCD thing, but more of the "head in the clouds" thing. I've spoken with parents about the issue and I filled out a form for the doctor. So I am waiting to hear on that as well.

Any other tips?
Old 11-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Enthusiast

New York
3rd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean18 View Post
I have one like this too. I'm going to try the timer thing. He doesn't care if he misses part of his recess. He still works at the same pace during the recess time and doesn't motivate himself to get out and play. He has friends so that's not the issue. It's not an OCD thing, but more of the "head in the clouds" thing. I've spoken with parents about the issue and I filled out a form for the doctor. So I am waiting to hear on that as well.

Any other tips?
Cut back the amount of work at first so he can be successful and finish it. Then slowly build up to what the other kids are doing so he can build his stamina. Try a sticker chart, he gets a sticker every time he completes his work. It's very important that you let him be successful the first two or three times so he knows he can do it, then gradually increase the work and hopefully he'll slowly be able to increase his focus.

Tags
slow, student, works