A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 08-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Companion

TX
Finally 2 Interviews 1 Already turned me down......

So like every year everyone around me is getting a teaching job even those with no experience. I finally got two interviews one in a district I wanted which turned me down. Two of the things that keepsticking out to me about this interview is the principal told me I was softspoken and said something about taking kindness for weakness. The other thing about commute. Ive always been softspoken but that has not stopped me in any job I've had. I dont have to yell to get my point across or have students mind. As long as i am firm and follow through with what i say. It works. From what ive seen yelling can even escalate situations. Ive subbed in some of the worst classrooms with the teacher yelling at the students and I didnt have to do that anf im asked how I get them so quiet and behaved. Other topic....she mentioned about 3 times about the commute (45 mins maybe an hour with traffic and construction) I tried to make it clear that it was NOT a problem for me and if it was I would never have applied in the first place. Eventually if I worked there I would move closer but I cant just move to a city because I want to work there and not have a job. I should here from the other job this week. Not really what I want but I guess somethings better than nothing. Sorry if it doesnt make sense/typos..im typing on my phone and .just venting...

Old 08-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Groupie

I agree that not all good teachers have to be blooming extroverts with booming voices. Kids respond to all kinds, and as long as they know that you love them and your subject matter, and that youre in control, it's all good. But if the impression you give is meek or timid (even if you're really not like that) they maybe wary of hiring you. Could you practice interviewing with a friend and maybe get feedback on how you're projecting your voice?

As for the commute, that sounds like something they could ignore if they were satisfied with everything else.

Good luck. I know how hard it is out there.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Companion

TX
Thanks. I get nervous at the interviews too no matter what I try and I probably sound worse too even though im not reslly like that. If I practice with someone im not going to sound like that because im comfortable with them. I can be VERY loud around certain people. As I type I just got a phone call for a 5th grade position. Im ec-4 and theyre aware of that. Dont know much about 5th grade but wish me luck!

Tags
finally, interviews, turned