A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 08-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Groupie

This is how bad it is in my state for elementary jobs...

63 positions listed for the ENTIRE state. This includes PreK btw.

Some of them have been listed since May, and I know for a fact that some have been filled, because I applied for them and was told they hired someone else!

This is like trying to win the Lotto.

And all but two of them (the ones that i think are still unfilled) are an hour or more away, which puts them out of my range (just can't do that with my own family to consider).

I keep remembering how I was hired late as a brand new teacher.

Sigh.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Phenom

Northern CA
5th Grade
Oh wow. What state?
Old 08-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
Oh wow. What state?
I will PM you.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Comrade

Eastern USA
High school
There were about a dozen listings for my subject (a rather specific one). The ones within an hour of my home numbered seven. Of those seven, I had four interviews.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Comrade

New Jersey
Going back to school...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowbird View Post
It is so bad I really do think that the teacher prep programs should issue some kind of warning. Although at this point I think it's becoming public knowledge that there aren't any jobs....
It's really funny because my professors were all like HAHA THERE'S GOING TO BE A TEACHER SHORTAGE SOON!! Which I saw right through but you know...

I still have to at least try to get a job though. It's what I've been working towards my whole life and it's something I really want. But if I don't have a job by next year (in my state or elsewhere) I'm moving on.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Multitudinous

Colleges and universities are in the business of instilling knowledge and making money. It's not their job to limit the supply of teachers.

I guess with such limited options, many new teachers are going to have to move elsewhere to find jobs. I'm glad that I was able to do that, or I would never have gotten a job. My subject, which is quite specialized and uncommon, was simply not available anywhere in my home state or in any of the neighboring states. I would have had to wait 5-10 years, easily, to find an opening, and that was unreasonable.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Comrade

New Jersey
Going back to school...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post
Colleges and universities are in the business of instilling knowledge and making money. It's not their job to limit the supply of teachers.
My university is well known for their teacher preparation programs. They would lose a lot of money if they stopped people from entering them.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Phenom

Midwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripey View Post
It's really funny because my professors were all like HAHA THERE'S GOING TO BE A TEACHER SHORTAGE SOON!! Which I saw right through but you know...
They said they same thing when I was taking courses!!!

I know a few kids who graduated HS this yr and said they were going to school for teaching...just said good luck.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Phenom

Midwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripey View Post
My university is well known for their teacher preparation programs. They would lose a lot of money if they stopped people from entering them.
The school I graduated is known for teaching as well!!!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Habitué

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowbird View Post
It is so bad I really do think that the teacher prep programs should issue some kind of warning. Although at this point I think it's becoming public knowledge that there aren't any jobs....
My professors are honest about this. I wouldn't say the university is before you enroll, but they expect people to do their own research. No one talks about the teaching shortage and everyone knows it's bogus. I don't really expect to find a job after finishing my credential next year, but I love teaching, so here I am. I will apply, and if nothing works out, my plan is to go abroad to get some experience and have some adventures before trying again. I live in one of the worst areas for finding a teaching job. I really hope it works out, but I have a plan B and C in my mind.

Tags
bad, elementary, jobs, state