A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Behavior Management

Old 07-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Rookie

Denver, CO
Middle School Teacher
Behavior redirection notes suggestions?

Hello!
I'm starting my second year and want to create what I call "behavior redirection notes." I'm not sure if there's another technical term for it... =) Anyway, I found myself last year taking a lot of time to write notes to students as a way of . They were both positive and negative. Examples:

"I'm SO PROUD of you! See me after class."
"Make a positive change, or your seat will change. Your choice."
"Step outside the classroom."
"Wow, what a great thought you shared. I'm impressed."

I'm trying to think of other things I could write on them that will redirect their behavior without breeding resentment. Some of these will be notes that are pre-cut-up and will be handed out to students to keep. Others will be laminated ones that I'll collect from students at the end of class.

What are your thoughts?

Old 08-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Rookie

Pennsylvania
High School Teacher
That sounds like a great, well-thought-out idea - what grade are you using it for?

Maybe another good one to write is "don't forget the class procedures" or a specific reminder for a frequently broken rule, so that you don't have to say anything outloud.
I think "thanks for speaking up in class today!" would be a good one too. Or possibly "I'd like to hear from you today... can you prepare an answer for the next question" (or some better way to phrase that for students)
Old 08-02-2013, 03:16 AM
Comrade

How about a list of your classroom rules? You could print them on green paper and circle the ones that the students ARE following.

And print them on red paper and circle the ones they're NOT following.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Companion

Wisconsin
3rd Grade Teacher
Something I saw on Pinterest and hope to use (if I'm with elementary students) was a stop sign and on it was written, "Please stop what you are doing and make a better choice".
Old 08-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Rookie

Denver, CO
Middle School Teacher
I used my hand-written notes in 9th grade last year, and they worked wonders, especially when kids would get a note thanking them for their choice. This year, it'll be for 7th and 8th graders.

There's another one on Pinterest in a similar vein--it said, "Stop what you are doing! Re-think your behavior choice. Bring this card back to me when I'm not busy and tell me what you were doing wrong, and how you are going to make better choices."

I like the idea behind it--I think it's a little harshly worded, so I'd change that a bit, but it's interesting.

Definitely adding: "thanks for speaking up in class today!"
"I'd like to hear from you today... prepare an answer for the next question, which will be _______________________." If I laminate them, I can write in expo marker what today's questions will be. =)

I'm trying to think of a way to prompt students to work in a way that is productive--maybe something along the lines of, "You can either begin working diligently, or step outside and talk to me about why you aren't. Your choice--sitting and staring is not an option."

Other ideas?
Old 08-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Comrade

Virginia
3rd Grade Rdg/Sci
I have pre-cut ones that say:

"Think about what are you doing. What should you be doing instead? Start that behavior now."

Tags
behavior, notes, redirection, suggestions