A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 07-23-2013, 08:29 AM
Novice

Texas
Special education
What is your weakness question?

This is a very common question. What is the ideal answer? Do they really want us to voice a weakness? Or are they looking for a confident teacher who answers to their knowledge, they don't know of any weakness. But to throw in that we can all grow in all areas.

Same question about your weakness with student success.

I really hate these tye of questions.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Comrade

Midwest
In my experience, you should cite something that has been difficult for you and then go on to explain how you are overcoming this difficulty. You should that you are aware of your weaknesses and that you have a plan to improve, and that shows initiative.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Phenom

Midwest
I go with geo...
But I think that I turned into something like an area I would like to improve in and will grow more is by trying different strategies and some strategies I will find and some I will learn from the other teachers.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:48 AM
Guru

I do NOT recommend choosing a "weakness" that is basically a "positive" to employers such as working too much. Choose an area of growth that you are actively working on. We all have room for improvement.

The bogus "weakness" kind of had a similar feel to a thin person crying that they're so darn fat just to hear someone go on and on about how thin they are. Stop it.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:41 AM
Novice

Texas
Special education
Would an answer like this be looked at positively or negative.

As a teacher my goal is to build relationships with each child with my students individually. I truly believe student success is connected with a great relationship with being a teacher/ mentor to them and also a friend. After all, having trust in the teacher is important. But there may be a student that won't let me break through to him/her and I seek ways to get to know him and help Him. As a teacher, I feel it also gives me new ways to help them and also learn from them.

Something like that. I do try to get to know my students like this. It is true. I also find myself getting really attached to these students who are troubled. I want to help them in every way possible. Their home life might not be great but I work to make them feel safe and secure at school.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
I do NOT recommend choosing a "weakness" that is basically a "positive" to employers such as working too much. Choose an area of growth that you are actively working on. We all have room for improvement.

The bogus "weakness" kind of had a similar feel to a thin person crying that they're so darn fat just to hear someone go on and on about how thin they are. Stop it.
That is a good point. I've heard others also give this as a "weakness" of theirs, and it certainly can rub people the wrong way.

My honest weakness, is my lack of exposure as a "teacher". I'm not sure how I can address that.

As it relates to interviews, it is hard for someone who is JUST a substitute teacher... who has had student-teaching experience, maybe some LTS experiences, to have a base of experiences to draw from, in interviews. Day-to-day, your experiences as a teacher in general aren't very noteworthy--Teaching is a process, and when you are able to go through that process, that is where you have an experience that you can draw from and refer to.

So there are questions and areas that I feel uneasy answering, because a lot of it is frankly grasping... grasping for something substantial, to say that I've done. And so that is my weakness--that I don't have the experiences to be able to really answer that question. When they ask you, "What do you have on your classroom walls?" Well, I've never had classroom walls, to really answer that question.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Phenom

Western USA
K-6 Sped Resource Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post

So true! The advice I had always heard in college was to spin a "weakness" into a positive. I tried that on my very first interview and the lady looked at me and flat out said, "That's not a weakness." I've never tried that again!

It is hard though because you also don't want to say something that's a huge part of your job.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Companion

Virginia
Substitute Teacher
I really hate this question too lol. I try to refer to my evaluations from time to time and see what my particular "weaknesses" were that maybe my cooperating teacher or advisor listed, and I go, "Okay. How have I improved on this?"

John Lee - Very good point. It is very hard as a new teacher to name a weakness and maybe even a strength when you have limited teaching experience.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Novice

Wisconsin
4th Grade Teacher
In my education program, we were told that it is OK to use things such as "too dedicated" as an answer to a weakness question.

Teacher Gii - That is a good idea to look at what my supervisor and cooperating teacher had on my evaluations. I know I always tried to incorporate or adapt the feedback my supervisor gave me, which she ended up writing about on my final evaluation.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezymarie07 View Post
In my education program, we were told that it is OK to use things such as "too dedicated" as an answer to a weakness question.
Too dedicated? Horrible advice, in my humble opinion.

Tags
question, weakness