A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 07-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Habitué

Requesting extra supplies for kids who won't have them...

Someone who teaches 3rd grade told me that she always puts more supplies than she knows the kids will need on her supply list. She said she does this so that she can give some of the extra supplies to the kids who won't have any.

Do any of you do this? I think I'd be rather upset knowing that my child's supplies were given to another kid.

This brings me to my next question...
How do you handle supplies in your classroom? Do you have the students turn in everything that they bring into you, and then divide them up, or do you have each student keep his/her items in his/her own desk?

Old 07-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
I wouldn't do that. I also can't choose my school supply list. My principal has ours down to bare bones and has for years due to the economy.
The only thing I plan on collecting for community supplies is pencils.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Fanatic

I ask for more than I need with community supplies like Kleenex. Because I know some kids won't bring in any.

I would never do it for individual supplies. But I don't take up individual supplies either.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Companion

VA
New 5th Grade Teacher
From a parent's perspective it really annoys me. When my son was younger he had some fine motor difficulty, so I bought the supplies I knew worked well. For example, Fiskar scissors, Crayola crayons, pencils that sharpened easily, and markers that could be left open a little longer. When I went into the classroom and saw they used communal supplies and the stuff I bought wasn't in his tables shared area, it really annoyed me. I was a full time student, and it was a bit of a stretch to upgrade his supplies. So the next year I labeled everything with a sharpie and his materials stayed with him.

As a teacher I am probably going to share some of the student supplies, because it makes sense that if I have 12 kids with scissors, I shouldn't go out and buy another 8. I will try to be sure that the students have access to the supplies they brought in though....
Old 07-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Fanatic

I think parents should expect that a lot of supplies will be shared in the younger grades. If they don't with their first kid in kindergarten, they soon learn!

I personally would be MORE annoyed if I knew that the kindergarten teacher had to spend even 10% of her time handing out supplies to the right kids or playing detective for items that "went missing."
Old 07-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Habitué

Midwest
Second Grade
I always put a note at the bottom that requested extras as donations for those students whose parents may not be able to afford them, and I did actually have a few parents who brought in extras at open house. I never upped the number of required supplies though. That seems a little sneaky.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Multitudinous

I wouldn't mind bringing in extra supplies for students who didn't have them, but I wouldn't want to be tricked into doing so.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Comrade

Virginia
3rd Grade Rdg/Sci
I think it is to be expected that items like pencils are to be shared. I collect pencils for community use unless they are a "fancy" kind with designs, etc.

I keep gallon bags in the cabinet labeled with the students' name for the rest of their extra supplies, and I pass the bags out every couple of weeks for the students to get refills of what they need. I also keep extras on hand for students who don't bring in the basics. The school provides me a budget for these.

I don't ask for more supplies per child than they will actually use, except for tissues. (2 boxes per child) Some years that is more than enough, some years I have just about run out before the year is over. It just depends on how many of the students actually bring them.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Comrade

Arizona
Kindergarten Teacher
I teach Kindergarten and we have community supplies. I let parents know that the supplies are used in that way upfront, and requested at Meet the Teacher for the larger things of glue sticks because we use them a lot. I had some really great parents who went above and beyond and we are pretty well stocked with crayons, pencils, and glue sticks for the rest of the year.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:04 AM
Enthusiast

2nd Grade Teacher
I do not do community supplies and would never assume that parents 'expect it'. I would never give one student's supplies to another. Each child brings in their own labelled supplies. Anything they don't need to store in their desk - mainly extra pencils, highlighters, erasers and glue sticks - are stored in large, individually labelled zip-loc bags. This way when a student needs a new eraser they are already on hand at school. At Christmas I send home notes about which supplies students need to replenish. I've never had a student bring nothing and I often supplement with the extra supplies we have in the office.

Tags
extra, kids, requesting, supplies