A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Middle School / Junior High

Old 07-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Comrade

Ohio, USA
Middle school Social Studies!
New teacher to the middle grades

hey guys,
this will be my first year teaching middle school. I will have 6th grade language arts and 8th grade language arts. My school actually tests students into their classes. So I will have students from all middle school grades (6-8) in both sets of classes.

What kind of things should I expect from middle school age children?

I did most of my field experience in the upper elementary school ages so I don't have a ton of experience with this age group... but I also feel that I will enjoy this age a little more.... we will see lol

Old 07-20-2013, 04:26 PM
Cohort

la,ca
With middle school. expect the unexpected. One day the kids may love you and the next they hate you.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Cohort

Secondary Mathematics
I'm a new middle school math teacher!!! It's gonna be a blast, I hope...
Old 07-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Connoisseur

California
Social Studies
Quote:
Originally Posted by elateacher4life View Post
With middle school. expect the unexpected. One day the kids may love you and the next they hate you.
This isn't quite true.

More accurately, one day they may love themselves and the next day they may hate themselves.

I've never had them just hate me all of a sudden. Sure they've been angry or upset but it is always something internal.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:00 PM
Cohort

Pa.
7th/8th Grade teacher
It's an emotional rollercoaster, but hang in there. Be strict, don't play favorites, make the subject relatable.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Novice

Missouri
Middle School Teacher
Middle school is a blast! I taught math for the past 5 years and love it! I had mixed classes too and it is fun to watch the kids grow from little kids into neat little people! I've moved to a new school this year and will be teaching business to all three grades again. I can't wait. The only issue I ever had with the mixed classes was when the upper level 6th graders entered a low level 8th grade class. The 8th graders (mostly IEP/ED kiddos) acted out for a day or two because they felt "dumb" and the 6th graders got big heads for a day or two. It all evened out after a few days and they worked together nicely.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Cohort

Secondary Mathematics
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUMB3RSFAN View Post
Middle school is a blast! I taught math for the past 5 years and love it! I had mixed classes too and it is fun to watch the kids grow from little kids into neat little people! I've moved to a new school this year and will be teaching business to all three grades again. I can't wait. The only issue I ever had with the mixed classes was when the upper level 6th graders entered a low level 8th grade class. The 8th graders (mostly IEP/ED kiddos) acted out for a day or two because they felt "dumb" and the 6th graders got big heads for a day or two. It all evened out after a few days and they worked together nicely.

I believe my greatest assets to my kids will be that I am extremely patient and am willing to do things over and over and over until they know it and can do it. I can also explain math in different ways, so, if someone doesn't get it, I will somehow quickly teach it another way.... I think it also helps that I have children that are close to middle school age and I assist with their math homework from time to time.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Comrade

Ohio, USA
Middle school Social Studies!
Thanks for the advice about what to expect guys. I am really looking forward to it!

I have very long periods - 107 minutes 3 times a week and 97 minutes twice a week. This will give me the chance to do a lot of hands on activities. I will also have the chance to put a big focus on all parts of language arts - reading, writing, vocabulary, grammar, presenting, research etc.

I am really looking forward to it and I want to be the best teacher that I can be!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Groupie

Pennsylvania
Great attitude! You will do well. Stay positive and stay organized. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Habitué

Maine
High School Life Science
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockguykev View Post
More accurately, one day they may love themselves and the next day they may hate themselves.
Well said. It's sometimes tough to keep this perspective when it feels like a direct attack. I've gotta work on this.

Tags
grades, middle, teacher