A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 07-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Novice

TN
Job Seeker
private school

How many of you are private school teachers? I have taught in the public school systems for 6 years and am considering keep private schools as an option for employment. Can you tell me about what you feel are the pros and cons, likes and dislikes, etc.?

Old 07-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Novice

Minnesota
5th/6th Grade Teacher
I'm a private school teacher and I love it. I actually get paid a teensy tiny bit more than I would in the public school, so that's a plus, but there are no benefits. That said, every private school is different. My good friend's parents taught at a private school and made significantly less than I do, even 20 years into it. It all depends on the school and their policies.

Pros: I feel like I have more say in things as a teacher and feel like they value my input more than they would at a public school. Again, this is all relative to the district, public OR private.

I also LOVE the smaller class sizes and the opportunities to go on more field trips than I would get in public school.

Behavior is MUCH better than it is at public school, again--this is all relative.

I feel like my job is more secure as a new teacher.

Cons: I love my job and there aren't many cons, but I do miss the camaraderie you get with other teachers in the public school. Our staff is SO SMALL that there really aren't that many people to bounce ideas off of and become friends with, although there still ARE people, just not as many.

Also, because of the smaller staff, we have to do a LOT of extra duties that public school teachers don't have to do. I teach my own phy ed and music, as well as middle school band class. I was also the "track coach"...I have to put that in quotes because I know barely anything about track. I enjoy these extra duties, but I know not everyone would.

Edited to Add: Another con is my school year is a lot longer (like, 195 days or something crazy) BUT our school days are shorter (students come from 8:45 to 2:40.) So this may or may not be a pro or con.

Private schools can be so different--from both public schools and other privates. I know my situation at my private school is a lot different from my sister-in-law, who also teaches at a different private. It just depends. Definitely don't rule it out of your job search, though!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:32 AM

Florida
I taught in private school for 11 years. I never wanted to teach in public. I agree with most of what hollydoris said above.

We had complete freedom to modify, adapt, augment, delete our curriculum materials provided by the school.

We could be paid (by parents) for tutoring the school's students during after-hours (at school).

We were expected to participate in events and fundraisers that took place after-hours and on weekends.

We could offer after-school clubs and get paid for running them.

There were no rules about room decor, BBs, etc.

The kids were quite well-behaved ('shut up' was considered very offensive) and relaxed.

We administered a standardized test (not our state's FCAT) that was not at all prepared for or stressed. Results were not used for anything.

We were expected to modify for students with disabilities, yet the school did not provide any resources for that. There was no staff to guide us, but we were included in meetings with the families' private therapists/psychologists.

The school tended to over-accommodate parents with the most money.

Grades were not standards-based.

Administration was loving, supportive, understanding, but not necessarily up-to-date with contemporary education.

A family atmosphere was the goal for all.

The class size was small; about 10 - 12 on average.

Pay was less than 50% of public school to start. We got yearly raises and long-standing teachers received about 80% of public salaries.

There was no retirement plan at all. Health insurance premiums for the employee were paid at 50%.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:09 AM
Novice

Minnesota
5th/6th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upsadaisy View Post
I taught in private school for 11 years. I never wanted to teach in public. I agree with most of what hollydoris said above.

We had complete freedom to modify, adapt, augment, delete our curriculum materials provided by the school.

We could be paid (by parents) for tutoring the school's students during after-hours (at school).

We were expected to participate in events and fundraisers that took place after-hours and on weekends.

We could offer after-school clubs and get paid for running them.

There were no rules about room decor, BBs, etc.

The kids were quite well-behaved ('shut up' was considered very offensive) and relaxed.

We administered a standardized test (not our state's FCAT) that was not at all prepared for or stressed. Results were not used for anything.

We were expected to modify for students with disabilities, yet the school did not provide any resources for that. There was no staff to guide us, but we were included in meetings with the families' private therapists/psychologists.

The school tended to over-accommodate parents with the most money.

Grades were not standards-based.

Administration was loving, supportive, understanding, but not necessarily up-to-date with contemporary education.

A family atmosphere was the goal for all.

The class size was small; about 10 - 12 on average.

Pay was less than 50% of public school to start. We got yearly raises and long-standing teachers received about 80% of public salaries.

There was no retirement plan at all. Health insurance premiums for the employee were paid at 50%.
You touched on a lot of points I forgot in my initial post. I bolded the ones that have been true in my experience as well.

To the original poster, private schools can be great! I would never rule them out. When I first started, I told myself I wanted to work in an urban public school and wasn't even applying outside of that area. But I wasn't getting interviews so I branched out a little bit. I got an interview for a private and ended up getting the job and thought to myself, "Well, I'll do this for a year to get experience--then I'll apply to the public schools!" But that attitude has changed and I absolutely love my job.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Novice

TN
Job Seeker
Thank you so much for the feedback. I am excited at the possibilities.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:53 PM

Florida
Good luck. Hope you find one that is a good fit for you.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Enthusiast

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
I teach in a private school and I use to teach in a public school.

I think as far as what the students are like, I think the differences are exaggerated. What works with children in one setting, will usually work in another. What doesn't work with children in one setting, usually won't work in another.

I think the greatest difference is that in a private school, your role as a teacher is a bit different. At my school, I have a lot of freedom to teach religion and developing the whole student. To me that makes teaching a lot more fun and meaningful.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Novice

TN
Job Seeker
I think it would for me too.

Tags
private, school