A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 02-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Newcomer

DeKalb, IL
Pronoun Activities

I was wondering if anybody had some good ideas for pronoun activities at the second-grade level. The first activity I have planned for after I introduce pronouns is to write sentences on the board with regular nouns and have the students put pronoun magnets over the noun to replace it. For example: "Jake is going to the pool" (the student would put the "he" magnet over "Jake").

Aside from an activity like that, I have no other ideas. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

"Take it easy...but take it!" -Woody Guthrie

Old 02-23-2006, 08:12 AM
Phenom

Arkansas, USA
2nd Grade All-Boy Teacher
Read "I and You and Don't Forget Who: What is a Pronoun" by Brian P. Cleary, or "Grammar Tales: The Planet Without Pronouns" by Justin M. Martin. Both are wonderfully funny books about pronouns. We created a chart stating the definition of a pronoun at the top, and then listing all the pronouns we could find in the book. I've done this with several other books in the series and the kids really remember them. They can visualize the poster after I've taken it down (I leave it up for a while), and then place it with the book. Wonderful scores on L/A tests!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Rookie

Indiana
i actually just got done teaching pronouns and here is an activity that Upsadaisy gave me. It really worked out well for my second graders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upsadaisy
Hi, outnumbered. There are definitely other male teachers here at AtoZ. Welcome! Try playing a game to introduce pronouns. Get a squishy ball or stuffed animal and throw it to someone. Have the class give you a sentence, 'Mr. outnumbered threw the ball to Sarah.' Throw to the same students over and over again. Then ask them how they could say the sentence without using Sarah's name so often. Do something similar for other pronouns...

Tags
activities, pronoun