A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 07-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Enthusiast

7th Grade Special Education
fundraising in low-income schools

As some of you may have read, Chicago Public Schools are in chaos. 50 schools are being turned around or closed all together. The remaining schools were handed MILLIONS of dollars in budget cuts. My school was cut $275,000 alone.

In my past life, I hustled for non-profits and raised a lot of money, so I am trying to find a way to fill in some gaps at my school. Problem is, we don't have the families to make a "Friends of School" type non-profit that raises a ton of money. My school is 97% free and reduced lunch. I am watching some of the wealthier schools pull in $30,000, $50,000, etc. with galas, silent auctions, blank-a-thons, and whatever else.

Do you work at a low-income school that has attempted to compensate for this gap? Any successful ideas? We don't have wealthy parents...but we have a LOT of them. My school serves 1,500 kids and I think we have underestimated our family power. I'm just not sure where to start....

Old 07-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Habitué

Midwest
Second Grade
My last school held an annual trivia night. Anyone and everyone in the community and surrounding areas was welcome to participate. It was probably half and half school families and outside community members that participated. It was low-budget - mostly staff and the few parent volunteers we had that helped with it. Not sure if it would work in Chicago, but it's worth considering.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Companion

Many teachers use Donors Choose.

http://www.donorschoose.org/

It's primarily used for funding individual projects. I've known teachers who have had a great deal of success with it.

It won't replace schoolwide funding that's been cut, but teachers can use it to compensate for what the school will no longer provide them.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Companion

Preschool Teacher
I teach at a low income school. We are around 98% free and reduced lunch. We do lots of little fundraisers that usually add up to $10,000-$15,000/ year. We do a "fun Friday" every Friday after school. Parents pay $2 for their child to stay after school from 3-5. Teachers volunteer and show movies, open the gym, etc. We also do "Tuesday treats" where teachers or community donate ice cream and kids pay $1 for a treat to eat at the end of school. We do raffles/give aways for things that the community donates and our parents need, like computers and printers. We also have a teacher take the group class pictures every year and print them ourselves, selling them to parents for $10. The only other thing I can think of is that we do a change drive every year. Parents and kids bring in spare change and the teachers collect it. The class in each level with the highest amount gets a party.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Rookie

Ma
4th Grade Teacher
Donors choose is amazing. I have received almost 3000 worth of materials. It is an amazing website It is also easy to get your project started good luck
Old 07-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Maven

USA
3rd Grade Teacher
I've used Donors Choose as well - but you run the risk of not being funded. Are y'all Title I? I know that there are lots of Title I grants out there - my P stays VERY busy writing grant applications.

We only have about 300 students, but here are some of the fundraisers we have done:

$1 Jeans on Friday (if you - student or teacher - want to wear jeans on Friday, you pay $1 and get your hand stamped) (we are a uniform school)

Pizza Day (Dominoes or Little Caesars) One slice $3, Two for $5

School Sock Hops (PBIS) at which snacks are sold for $$ (pickles, sodas, etc.)

Cake Walk

Spaghetti (or Red Beans or Gumbo) Night - Meals are $5

Boxtops for Education (they don't bring in much, but every little bit helps!)

Of course, the requisite candy sales for grades 3-5

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
― Dr. Seuss
Old 07-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Habitué

Ohio
Special Education Teacher
Our School Carnival has baskets put together by each classroom and they bring in some $$ with a Chinese Auction.

Families donate for their class's basket (like a Gardening Theme or a Baking Theme, or Chocolate, or a Sports Team (Ohio State around here!) )

And were are a High Poverty school, just on the rural end of things.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Cohort

Virginia
High School Teacher
I just started my first DonorsChoose project, so we'll see how it goes! My school is pretty low-income (although we're not having nearly the issues Chicago is!) so I'm really hoping this will allow me to buy some new equipment. It's worth a shot!
Old 07-07-2013, 12:36 AM
Enthusiast

7th Grade Special Education
Thanks so much for the replies.

I have done DonorsChoose 3 or 4 times for my classroom, but I was thinking BIGGER. Like we need to find $1,000-10,000 at a time.

I looked into doing a "school night" at a local restaurant too. Like we would get a percentage of what people bought.

Keep the ideas coming! I'm writing everything down.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Fanatic

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourSquare View Post
Thanks so much for the replies.

I have done DonorsChoose 3 or 4 times for my classroom, but I was thinking BIGGER. Like we need to find $1,000-10,000 at a time.

I looked into doing a "school night" at a local restaurant too. Like we would get a percentage of what people bought.

Keep the ideas coming! I'm writing everything down.
I'll PM you with more details possibly.

McDondalds will allow you to do restraunt nights, but I am not sure how much you really raise, it is my understanding that once someone does the training you can go multiple times.

I know your school is predominantly low income, but if you have a situation where families can take things to their work and sell to their coworkers etc that is where you can benefit. Look at the taffy apples (they're localish.)

I have to clear out my inbox, but I will PM you with more details soon.

Tags
fundraising, lowincome, schools