A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 06-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Newcomer

Teachers, do you grade homework at home?

Hi,

I just became a teacher and really want to know what teachers usually do when it comes to grading homework. Should we bring homework home and grade it when we're off, or should we just do it when we're at work at school? Thanks!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Habitué

Midwest
Second Grade
I never found the time to grade it at school when I was a classroom teacher.... at least not during the actual hours of the school day. And, not if I wanted to pull small groups during independent work times. It was the expectation of my administration that grading only be done during plan time or before/after school, and I always had other things needing done during plan time.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Habitué

It all depends. If I have time to do it during my planning period, I do. Usually I don't. My planning period is usually taken up by meetings, last-minute paperwork and/or individual student issues. Therefore, if I'm grading the homework, I take it home. It's not that bad.

There are ways to avoid bringing homework home. Kids love to "trade and grade" in class. Some teachers do not grade the majority of homework, because they believe it's unfair to grade on the learning process and not mastery of material (unless you assign the homework to show mastery rather than practice). I'm not fully on the "no grades" train, but there are some assignments that I just look over (to see what they're getting and what they're not) and then recycle.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Companion

I think I bought papers home to grade once last year. And that's because I was gone with my extracurriculars I sponsor three days that week and was behind in grading.

I just don't bring them home because I hate to grade and I don't want to do it at home. I'll do anything else (work on lessons, etc) but not grade.

I just grade during my planning period.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Newcomer

How about tests and exams? Do you grade them at school or home?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Enthusiast

Midwest
I usually grade on completion and do a quick check while students have silent reading time in the morning. Then I take the ones that had major issues and address it with the kids that day.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast

Midwest
I grade everything at school. When I take stuff home it just does not get done. I'd rather spend a 1/2 hour after school or during plan to get it done than take 100 papers home that I know I won't grade.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Fanatic

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
I don't grade homework. It gets a "check" in my grade book if it's complete. If it's incomplete, it gets a zero.

I try to grade tests during lunch. If I don't get to them, I score them after school.

I send home a progress report about every three weeks.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Cohort

CA
High School Teacher
I do not take work home. I also grade homework for completeness, and grade everything else on prep or at lunch. SOMETIMES I will take essays home to grade, but usually I do not.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:06 AM
Connoisseur

Texas
5th Grade
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeryteacher View Post
I grade everything at school. When I take stuff home it just does not get done. I'd rather spend a 1/2 hour after school or during plan to get it done than take 100 papers home that I know I won't grade.
Same here. I sometimes do it during my lunch break. I also have students help since they tend to love to doing it.

Tags
grade, home, homework, teachers