A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Math's Avatar
Math Math is offline
Cohort
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 596
Adjacent To Your House
Undergraduate
School 6-7 Days A Week?

What are your thoughts on having school 6 or 7 days a week? I was thinking wouldn't it be more beneficial to either have school 6 or 7 days a week or have it through the summer? This way students are not forgetting as much information. I mean over the summer I know students forget a lot of what they were taught. I just wanted to know your thoughts. I mean plus this way you would be able to cover more of your content. Plus having that extra days to do more with your classes.
Reply With Quote

 
  #2  
Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 PM
JustMe JustMe is offline
Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,133
I'd quit. In a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-24-2013, 10:52 PM
Math's Avatar
Math Math is offline
Cohort
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 596
Adjacent To Your House
Undergraduate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
I'd quit. In a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-24-2013, 10:53 PM
giraffe326's Avatar
giraffe326 giraffe326 is offline
Virtuoso
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,904
MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
Kids need a childhood. I'm actually a proponent of 4 longer days a week.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-24-2013, 10:55 PM
teacherintexas's Avatar
teacherintexas teacherintexas is offline
Aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,180
Texas
Third Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
I'd quit. In a heartbeat.
Me too.

I love my job. I love my kids.

But I wouldn't keep that love if I never got to relax and work on my home.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-24-2013, 10:55 PM
JustMe JustMe is offline
Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe326 View Post
Kids need a childhood. I'm actually a proponent of 4 longer days a week.
Same here.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-24-2013, 10:58 PM
Caesar753's Avatar
Caesar753 Caesar753 is offline
Multitudinous
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,612
I think it's a terrible idea. I would also quit.

If a student can't remember material for two days, then it probably wasn't taught well or should be reinforced for a longer period of time.

Kids need to play, to interact with other kids, and to spend time with their families.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-24-2013, 11:02 PM
Croissant Croissant is offline
Comrade
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 415
Texas
6th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe326 View Post
Kids need a childhood. I'm actually a proponent of 4 longer days a week.
Me too! I'm constantly saying that!

I've also wondered about 4 day weeks for on or above level students and then using every Friday as a flex day for struggling students. I think it could possibly be better for everyone if lower level students got a whole day a week without the full class rather than trying to cram intervention time into the regular routine.

Of course, selfishly I'd rather have the 3 day weekend every week 😉
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-25-2013, 12:02 AM
Pashtun Pashtun is offline
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,384
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Math View Post
What are your thoughts on having school 6 or 7 days a week? I was thinking wouldn't it be more beneficial to either have school 6 or 7 days a week or have it through the summer? This way students are not forgetting as much information. I mean over the summer I know students forget a lot of what they were taught. I just wanted to know your thoughts. I mean plus this way you would be able to cover more of your content. Plus having that extra days to do more with your classes.
From what I understand there is a lot of evidence that supports a longer school year. Summer vacation is certainly an issue. I would not be in favor of a 6 day school week...7 days not a chance.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 AM
Pashtun Pashtun is offline
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,384
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
I've also wondered about 4 day weeks for on or above level students and then using every Friday as a flex day for struggling students. I think it could possibly be better for everyone if lower level students got a whole day a week without the full class rather than trying to cram intervention time into the regular routine.
At the school I work at this idea would be cringed at. Many teachers at our school(myself included) believe the high achieving students should be getting just as much attention as the struggling students. That they have an equal right/need to their "intervention" time without a full class in your example..

I 100% agree with you about not trying to cram intervention time into the regular school day.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
days, school, week

Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




Mr. Rebates

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:20 AM.


Copyright © 1997-2010 A to Z Teacher Stuff, L.L.C.  All Rights Reserved.
Use of this site signifies your agreement to the terms of use.
Questions, comments, and suggestions: Contact Us
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.