A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 06-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Connoisseur

CA
5th grade teacher
Breakfast in the classroom every day

I've found out that starting in the fall, my school will be serving breakfast in the classroom every day. All of my students will be eating it because they all get free breakfast and lunch.

This year, students have been able to eat their breakfast before school at the cafeteria, and then we have second chance breakfast at recess for those who miss "first chance." Eating inside the classroom will be a major change for us. Breakfast is supposed to take place during the first 15 minutes of the school day.

Does anyone have experience with this? How do you manage it? Does it work to have them begin doing morning work as they finish? What about the mess? I'm glad that the kids will ALL be getting breakfast before learning begins (this is certainly NOT the case now!), but I hope this doesn't make our days start off horribly...

Old 06-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Habitué

Ohio
Special Education Teacher
Breakfast is actually pretty much no trouble at our school.

The kids take their breakfast from the milk crate to their seats and eat. Kids who don't want breakfast can read or color. It lasts about 15 minutes--they do their morning check-in during this time as well.

Mess--it varies. Sometimes there's a milk spill, and the kids clean it up. Muffins are a little messy. I don't let the kids pour milk on cereal as the school doesn't give us spoons---so they eat it dry and sip their milk. That cuts down on some mess.

It's not bad, don't worry.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:06 PM
Newcomer

Indiana
I have not experienced this since I have not gotten a teaching position yet, but I wish every school did this. It would break my heart wondering which students were able to eat before school and which were not. I plan on providing food every day regardless, but it would be awesome if schools did not leave those students out who are not able to make it to the breakfast provided before class begins. I imagine you will do just fine when the students fall into a routine concerning eating their breakfast and moving straight into what you have planned for the day.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Connoisseur

CA
5th grade teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda~* View Post
Breakfast is actually pretty much no trouble at our school.

The kids take their breakfast from the milk crate to their seats and eat. Kids who don't want breakfast can read or color. It lasts about 15 minutes--they do their morning check-in during this time as well.

Mess--it varies. Sometimes there's a milk spill, and the kids clean it up. Muffins are a little messy. I don't let the kids pour milk on cereal as the school doesn't give us spoons---so they eat it dry and sip their milk. That cuts down on some mess.

It's not bad, don't worry.
Thank you, that does help because I was pretty worried! We definitely will have cereal with milk and spoons pretty much every day.

What is your morning check-in? Turning in homework and such? Forgive me if that's a silly question.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Habitué

Ohio
Special Education Teacher
No worries!

In my room it's just them turning in their parent/teacher communication folders and doing an "emotional" check-in (I teach K-2 ED) where they write the date and circle how they are feeling.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Rookie

New Mexico
Kindergarten Teacher
We do breakfast in the classroom and it's a great social time for us. I think it gets kids to calm down and get ready for the day.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Habitué

I've also seen this done very successfully and agree that it seems to calm everyone down. There's always a clean-up routine, and sometimes even laminated place mats that they use to reduce mess. I don't have more advice except that you can do it!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-3 Sped Resource Teacher
We did breakfast in the classroom last year. Some teachers had the students do morning work during breakfast. Due to our schedule, we had 10 minutes to get them inside and eat before we had to be at specials, so I just let them talk while they ate. We picked up our little breakfast crates before school, and when they came in I just let them go pick up their own. If they didn't want it, they didn't have to eat it. I also made them clean everything up before specials. They poured leftover milk down the sink and put everything into a large trashbag before lining up. One of my teammates let them leave it on their desk and continue eating after specials, but I felt like I just couldn't use up the instructional time as that was during our reading block. We put the trash bag outside for the janitor to pick up (so it wouldn't smell up the room during the day) and sent the breakfast tote back to the cafeteria with a kid.

The thing that really irked me is the cafeteria wouldn't take extra food/milk back, even if it was unopened and returned right away. I can't imagine how much money we wasted because they were unwilling to open up the tote and put the extra milk away. I thought of volunteering to do it myself, but I thought that would seem snarky. I saved things like breakfast bars to give out as rewards and I tried to pawn extra milk off on kids who would drink more than one.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Comrade

95 North
Early Childhood Teacher
We did it-which also meant kids were in the classroom at 7:30!! I like the concept/idea of it, but it was a headache cutting off breakfast, cleaning up, and transitioning to the start of the day. I always had kids pick over the food and we never had enough for each child, it was on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Companion

2nd Grade Teacher
High Sugar Content

The only part I don't like is that our cafeteria serves breakfast food with high sugar content in it. They do prepackaged food 90% of the time. Some days between choc. milk and the prepackage food the sugar can be up to 51 grams of sugar. That's a lot of sugar for a 5 year old to have for breakfast.

Tags
breakfast, classroom, day