A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 06-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Novice

Length of a Cover Letter

I am writing a cover letter and I"m having difficulty keeping it at one page. My closing paragraph always ends up on the top of the next page. Can a cover letter ever be two pages (or in this case 1 and 1/4 pages). I'm sending my resumes and cover letters via email.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Comrade

Michigan
Art Teacher - K-5
I've never seen a 2 page cover letter.

Why don't you post it here for help? This forum is great and will offer suggestions.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Aficionado

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
Cover letters are definitely supposed to be 1 page, and the best length is a text that can be scanned / read in about a couple of minutes. The cover letter is supposed to grab the reader's interest and have them choose to pay more attention to your paperwork and actually read your resume, etc. Otherwise it's just a piece of paper among the other 50-500 applications.
I think anything over a page is overkill. Even resumes are supposed to be 1 page only
Old 06-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
A resume of more than one page is less frowned on, I think, than a cover letter of more than one page.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:10 AM
Companion

Special Education Teacher
check your margins... change it to 0.5. And possibly also change your font type and/or size.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
I'll have to disagree with the advice to change the margins and font size. The letter can and should be edited, and it will be more effective.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Aficionado

Middle of the USA
HS English & Psych, Adjunct too
I heard a supt say yesterday that he will not read a cover letter if it is too long. He wants 3ish short paragraphs.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Cohort

la,ca
Try to narrow it down to one page.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Rookie

Virginia
Answer to Question Length of Cover Letter?

When you add a cover letter, you should really keep it to less than one page. The cover letter is basically a teaser to intrigue the person who is screening your application.

What you want to do is basically give three top reasons why you're a good candidate for this job. Then give a piece of evidence to back it up. Each of these reasons needs maybe a couple of sentences, then you add an introduction, why you are excited about the firm and how you heard about this position, and then you add a closing statement regarding to your enthusiasm for the job.

Basically, this entire thing is to give them a taste that you have the skills that they need, and to make them interested enough to have them call you in for an interview. If you tell your whole life story it might be too much.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Comrade

Michigan
Art Teacher - K-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterviewTips View Post
When you add a cover letter, you should really keep it to less than one page. The cover letter is basically a teaser to intrigue the person who is screening your application.

What you want to do is basically give three top reasons why you're a good candidate for this job. Then give a piece of evidence to back it up. Each of these reasons needs maybe a couple of sentences, then you add an introduction, why you are excited about the firm and how you heard about this position, and then you add a closing statement regarding to your enthusiasm for the job.

Basically, this entire thing is to give them a taste that you have the skills that they need, and to make them interested enough to have them call you in for an interview. If you tell your whole life story it might be too much.

The firm?

Tags
cover, length, letter