A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 06-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Rookie

USA
Seriously at a loss

Hello, this is my first post-although I usually read the forums quite a bit. I know this might get moved to the testing topic but I'm really concerned about passing the social studies praxis. I seriously feel so stupid. Last Saturday was my third time to take it. The first time I took it I knew I didn't do well. I got a 147 and needed 158. When I took it this past April I just knew I passed. I finished early and looked back over questions, etc. I still didn't pass. I got a 153. I took it again last Saturday and just feel like I absolutely bombed! I'm going to pay to get my results early, but I still don't even know what good that will do. I just can't believe I am struggling with this. My gpa in college was a 3.3/4.0. After taking two tests I reviewed everything. In the areas u had seen previously. When I started working through the test last weekend the questions were all over the place. There was even a question working around witchcraft/black magic type stuff. I think I'm just going to take the middle school social studies next month. I am truly devastated. I stayed up last night crying. I can barely focus on my summer or life. What can I do?

Old 06-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Aficionado

An aquaintance of mine was teaching for four years before she managed to pass the Praxis. It took her six tries. While it doesn't say much for my district's hiring practices, it should give you some encouragement. She kept trying and was able to pass it eventually.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Devotee

Georgia USA
I'm so sorry.

Have you tried some of those test prep books? When I took praxis I noticed some if the questions related to the local districts standards. Maybe you can bone up on content by looking through the standards and seeing where you are weakest.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Rookie

USA
Yes the first time I used the ets book, cliffs notes, and a third praxis book. For the second test I used quizlet and the textbooks from my school. For the last test I used New York regents prep, quizlet, historical websites, investopedia for economics, studied all the graphs, studied online demographic charts. I have taught U.S. history, honors history, government, geography. I don't understand why I cannot pass. I am so embarrassed. Everyone has always told me I would be fine. When I take the test I do process of elimination and if I am truly stuck I go back to it at the end. The test was so hard that I literally finished about 2 minutes before she called time. Going in I felt beyond prepared for it. I do really well on everything when I practice. I do have anxiety, and I am starting to wish I had signed up for the middle school test(that's what I am teaching next year) and sent in documentation for a longer Testing time. I am just so upset.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Connoisseur

California
Social Studies
The social studies praxis test is garbage. It is trivia-filled nonsense that you honestly have to hope to luck into. I got my credential the year before it was required but I had many very intelligent colleagues who had to take it multiple times to pass despite having degrees in the subject.

Truthfully it is indicative of everything wrong with social studies instruction in public education period.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Companion

Ohio
K12 Online Teacher
Hmmm. Is there a section you're struggling with in particular? I think your results page breaks down your score by topic. If you've taught geography, US History, and government, perhaps just focus on the world history and economics portions (there's only a few psych/sociology questions, so I'd focus on the larger sections).

Maybe go to a bookstore and look through Advanced Placement review guides? I found the types of questions on the Praxis quite similar in style and content to the AP tests.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Rookie

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinraven View Post
Hmmm. Is there a section you're struggling with in particular? I think your results page breaks down your score by topic. If you've taught geography, US History, and government, perhaps just focus on the world history and economics portions (there's only a few psych/sociology questions, so I'd focus on the larger sections).

Maybe go to a bookstore and look through Advanced Placement review guides? I found the types of questions on the Praxis quite similar in style and content to the AP tests.
I am honestly kind of all over the place. On my last test I did awful on sociology/psych, like 5 out of 12 or something. So I tried to study up on it. Economics was also bad, 9/18; geography 12/18, gov. 12/24; wh 14/24; us history 16/24. I was 5 points away.from passing. I am just so upset, this is the only thing holding me back. Hopefully I reviewed enough that I was able to raise my score, although this test was extremely hard! I wont know until June 28th.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Habitué

North Carolina
7th Grade Teacher
I was wondering which social studies you were talking about (middle/secondary) until I saw the question-topic you mentioned and knew it was the secondary test because I took it this past weekend. I agree, some of the questions are so obscure--thankfully I got my bachelor's in history and have taken so many different courses in political science, economics, etc. that I feel I more than passed the test.

The cliffs notes and stuff are totally useless. The only way to really prepare for it is to know everything--impossible, I know. The next best think is whipping out college textbooks for US History, World History, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, US Government, etc and read them cover to cover--and hope the 130 questions are all addressed in the books. You should at least PASS the test reading textbooks cover to cover.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Novice

SC
10th Biology
I live in MI and our tests were basically all trivia pursuit type questions. Don't get down on yourself, I had to take my Earth and Space science test two times and my Biology test three times. The questions I had trouble with were worded weird to me, and at times I used the best common sense for my answer. I blew away the Earth Science test after I student taught, because I actually applied the material so I know that that seemed to help me tremendously.
Tips
Get a High School Social studies book and read through it. I used a high school bio book and used that to study. They want you to be an expert, but heck if you know everything out of the book you at least will graze the surface of things you don't know.
Read every question slowly. That is how I passed there are clues in every question. The MTTC test has multiple correct answers but one is always "more right" than the other. Be careful they're tricky.
Relax and take it slow

Tags
loss, social studies praxis