A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 06-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Groupie

Question about contacts helping you out..

I had an interview yesterday that went well. After the interview ended, I stopped in to see my former cooperating teacher, who teaches a different grade. I hadn't seen her in over 20 years! We had a nice reunion. I didn't ask her, but if I know her, she'll go in and say a good word about me to the principal.

I also have a friend in the district in another school, who has asked me if I'd like her to call the p. and put in a good word. I'm a little mixed about this....I've already had the interview, so my foot is already in the door. Don't want to look like I'm desperately pulling strings....thoughts?

Old 06-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Devotee

3rd/4th grade special education
I don't think it could hurt, but sometimes principals don't care. When I was student teaching, my cooperating teacher thought very highly of me and would tell me that she made little remarks to the principal all the time about how good I was. I won an "Outstanding Student Teacher" award during student teaching (I was nominated by my university supervisor. There were only 10 winners out of a couple hundred student teachers so it seemed impressive at the time. ) and she went and showed him the award, LOL. She convinced him to come sit in on one of my lessons.

In the following year, there was an opening for a kinder. teacher and he interviewed me for it. During the interview, he seemed totally disinterested - kept looking at the clock. He told her afterwards that I interview well and he thought I was a good candidate, but he wanted someone with real teaching experience.

But to answer your question, I don't think it makes you look desperate. If anything, it shows how much you want the job which is a good thing!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Comrade

Eastern USA
High school
Since your contacts are volunteering to put in a good word on their own, go ahead and tell them to feel free. Those on the other side of the interview process would generally welcome some real world, non resume, off the record feedback from a known and trusted colleague.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Comrade

New Jersey
Going back to school...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirlteach View Post
When I was student teaching, my cooperating teacher thought very highly of me and would tell me that she made little remarks to the principal all the time about how good I was.
Yeah, my CT did the same for me and I asked the principal myself to come observe me but she never did. I know the principal liked me but I think she prefers to hire experienced teachers. I never asked her but based on the current staff at the school I'm positive that's the case. Oh well.

To the OP: I don't think it would hurt at all! Go for it!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Groupie

Thanks everyone, I know in some cases it can help, others it doesn't matter. In the past contacts have gotten me interviews. In this case, I just didn't want to overdo it with the ct and the friend putting in a good word. But what the heck???!!!! Might as well tell her to feel out the situation for herself. She knows these people and the district--I don't.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Comrade

Michigan
Art Teacher - K-5
I would have no problem asking my connections to make an introduction Who better to vouch for you? I was able to find my job on my own, but I did a ton of networking in college and had a lot of teachers willing to go to bat for me when/if jobs opened up in their districts!

Tags
contacts, helping, question