A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 06-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Habitué

North Carolina
7th Grade Teacher
Interview Today! Quick Question...

I had an interview today at my son's school (it's K-9) and it's a charter school. I was highly confident going in because the school I'm teaching at currently still wants to retain me badly and is giving me a much better position for next year, plus maternity leave as long as I need, etc. Well, the charter school is much closer to home and would be a better fit for me overall. The interview was GREAT, the principal told me I did great, and I was assured I would hear something this week. I feel like the odds of getting an offer are very high.

With that said, since I'm pregnant and due in August, I have some pressing concerns that I know you cannot tell me the answer to with certainty, but am still wondering what your experience is with this.

For those of you who have moved from one district to another between school years, when did you lose you medical coverage from the previous district and when did the new coverage pick up? For my current district, it runs July 1-June 30 of each year, so any new hires would begin getting coverage July 1st even though they won't start working until August--their premiums will just be adjusted accordingly once they start getting paid. Is that typically the norm?

Old 06-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-3 Sped Resource Teacher
In my last district we got covered 15 days after we began working. If you had a lapse in coverage you had to wait longer. My coverage ends July 31st and my new school doesn't start until Sept. 5th so I signed up for a month of independent coverage just for emergencies. It wasn't very expensive, but I'm also not having a baby!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Guru

Southern NJ
2nd Grade Teacher
Coverage by me doesn't start until Sept. 1st, but we also start around Labor Day. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Aficionado

Texas
Third Grade Teacher
When you're offered the job, tell them you need to talk to the human resources department about insurance before you decide. Some places offer insurance early if you paid for it out of pocket. It wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
My district is also September 1.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Comrade

CA
8th Grade Math
FMLA might be a concern. Typically you are not eligible for family leave until you have been with an employer for some length of time. I think it's a year, but I'm not positive. One teacher I was an LTS for had to return to work when her baby was 6 weeks old because she was new to the district that year, though she had many years of teaching experience.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Habitué

North Carolina
7th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathteachertobe View Post
FMLA might be a concern. Typically you are not eligible for family leave until you have been with an employer for some length of time. I think it's a year, but I'm not positive. One teacher I was an LTS for had to return to work when her baby was 6 weeks old because she was new to the district that year, though she had many years of teaching experience.
I'm new all the way around, I didn't get my license until December. The district I currently work with will give me up to 1 year off with my baby--but I wouldn't take more than 3 months anyways.

The new school hasn't said one way or another. If I get this job though, my MIL will help me out by watching him (she finally agreed since she really really really wants me at this school) until he is 3 months old. So technically, I can go back to work as soon as I feel physically able (2 or so weeks), since I know he'll be in good hands.

So I'm not so much worried about FMLA leave as I am about benefits and NOT having medical coverage while I'm giving birth. Sounds like I'm going to have to elect Cobra coverage to cover me until the new benefits kick in, whenever that will be.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Connoisseur

Arkansas
Upper Elementary Teacher
Can you get on your husband's insurance? Losing your coverage qualifies as a life event and you should be able to join even though it's not open enrollment.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Habitué

North Carolina
7th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by agdamity View Post
Can you get on your husband's insurance? Losing your coverage qualifies as a life event and you should be able to join even though it's not open enrollment.
To add me, my husband would pay an additional 500/month. If I understand cobra correctly, I pay my portion of the premium plus the district/state's portion, which comes out to be roughly 500/month as well. Give or take a little. The icebreaker was which plan is better: the state or the out-of-state high co-insurance plan my husband has. Mine was the winner

Tags
interview, question, quick, today