A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 06-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Enthusiast

7th Grade Special Education
Crazy field trip!

Real Things That Happened Today At Our Navy Pier Field Trip:
  • I am forced to intervene when a group of unsupervised children begins arguing and one throws a water bottle across McDonalds. NOT a group from my school.
  • My student forgets his money for the rides and I remind him that he refused to use his agenda to write down that he needed money. Daily. For two weeks. He proceeds to have a curse-filled meltdown in the middle of everyone.
  • A chaperone sidetracks 4 of my kids to the bar for a much needed rum and coke. She responds to my surprised face by asking if I'd like one. If only!

It was actually a good trip overall, but very dramatic! Any field trip horror stories?

Old 06-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Habitué

Ohio
Special Education Teacher
Yikes!

The best I can do is a trip to the park with a Kindergarten kiddo with diarrhea and at least 20 trips to the restroom.

Of course, years ago, I also had the joy of taking two groups of 18 Head Start kids through a WalMart while holding a rope....that was some special fun.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Cohort

California
4th Grade Teacher
Oye vey!

The only field trip mishap as a teacher happened while on maternity leave-one of the teachers scheduled a bus for the wrong day! Not sure how it was fixed.

As a student, I remember taking a bus to San Diego for a band performance and one of my peers got car sick in the back of the bus while we were driving downhill..gravity brought it up to the front. Needles to say it was pretty gross!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Rookie

I had a parent chaperone who "got bored" and decided to leave suddenly with her child AND 2 other children.

The icing on the cake? She didn't see fit to tell anyone she was leaving. We spent the next 30 minutes frantically searching and calling until we finally found out what happened.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Connoisseur

New York
3rd Grade Teacher
A student's parent fell asleep at lunch on one of our field trips a few weeks ago. Said parent has also dosed off in the classroom before though, so it wasn't that much of a difference.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Aficionado

Texas
Third Grade Teacher
The rum and coke takes the cake. Wow.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Fanatic

PA
5th grade teacher
Okay, now that's just funny about the rum and coke! Love that the chaperone asked if you wanted one too!
Old 06-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Phenom

Sp. Ed. Teacher
My school took our students on a field trip downtown on Thursday -- open to the public. My principal made us take EVERY student. Working in a school where every student has severe behaviours, this is not the order that we like to receive.

I had a student (the one I would have left behind) start giving everyone the finger and trying to run away within 2 minutes of getting off of the bus. About 15 minutes later while looking at the displays he threw something at one of the presenters and started swearing. I had enough and sent my class with my assistants and sat him on a chair away from the public but beside a security guard -- I told him that if the security guard tells him that he has to go then he has no choice but to go back to school. We then went for lunch and we sat at our own table beside another security guard . It didn't stop him from swearing and self-harming himself for a few minutes though. At our first 40 min. presentation, I had to carry him out within 5 minutes of it beginning (swearing and self-harming). He was able to be in the room for about 8 minutes in total. After 2.5 hours of our lovely fieldtrip, he finally sat quietly for a play but he decided to give kids the middle finger and attempted to attack them on the way to the bus. I had to restrain his arm (behind his back), while we walked past 2 police officers.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Devotee

Georgia USA
rum and coke.....

I once had a kid run from me in a museum type setting. I had to chase him up several flights of stairs.

Another time I had a parent curse at a student and scream at them for misbehavior.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Comrade

Florida
3rd Grade ELA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2BATeacher View Post
My school took our students on a field trip downtown on Thursday -- open to the public. My principal made us take EVERY student. Working in a school where every student has severe behaviours, this is not the order that we like to receive.

I had a student (the one I would have left behind) start giving everyone the finger and trying to run away within 2 minutes of getting off of the bus. About 15 minutes later while looking at the displays he threw something at one of the presenters and started swearing. I had enough and sent my class with my assistants and sat him on a chair away from the public but beside a security guard -- I told him that if the security guard tells him that he has to go then he has no choice but to go back to school. We then went for lunch and we sat at our own table beside another security guard . It didn't stop him from swearing and self-harming himself for a few minutes though. At our first 40 min. presentation, I had to carry him out within 5 minutes of it beginning (swearing and self-harming). He was able to be in the room for about 8 minutes in total. After 2.5 hours of our lovely fieldtrip, he finally sat quietly for a play but he decided to give kids the middle finger and attempted to attack them on the way to the bus. I had to restrain his arm (behind his back), while we walked past 2 police officers.
Wow! It sounds like you really could have used a rum and coke.

Tags
crazy, field, trip