A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Paraprofessionals

Old 05-28-2013, 07:50 AM
Companion

CT
Music/Middle School LA/SS
Unhappy Respect for Paras??

I am a certified teacher with her Masters, with 5 endorsements to my name. I graduated magna cum laude, received perfect scores on a couple of my Praxis tests, and think of myself as fairly easy-going and flexible. I have been looking for a teaching job for 6 years now (cannot move due to family/husband) and know that age is not helping me. (I am in my early 40's).

I have been working as a f/t para in a high school for 2 years now. I do whatever is asked of me, and often volunteer for activities/events etc. I even have excellent reviews.

So why does it feel like paras get no respect? Last week, the National Honor Society students held a "Teacher Breakfast" for teachers only. Paras were not invited, and if you accidentally went over there, teachers/students would remind you that this was for "teachers only".
Last month, some parents bought pizza for all the teachers (it was in the mutual staff room). When I went over there, teachers reminded me that it was for "teachers only".
Many teachers in my school won't even talk to paras in the lunchroom. I do not have a choice, because since I do not have my own room, I have to eat there.
I know teachers work hard, but why do we have to made to feel like we are inferior? Students pick up on this and will treat us just as poorly (You are not a teacher so I don't have to listen to you, etc.)

Sorry - I am just venting here.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
Even when there were times I thought this might be true in select cases in our school, it was never like that. Your school culture regarding paras frankly sucks. If it were me, I might even bring it up to my admin. But again, that depends on how well I think admin would receive it.

We were ALWAYS invited to teacher morale functions. ALWAYS. Heck, once the teachers brought in a special breakfast for us and took our morning duties so we could eat it!

If the administration isn't going to have something for paras or at least for support staff, then they need to include paras and support staff. If it is the teachers that care, as opposed to the administration, then I would clear it with them that we are all here to support the students and according to admin, this function includes support staff as well.

But then again, we include all staff in our stuff IF they are working directly in our department. We call it teacher appreciation but others are included. There are staff that do not fall under our bosses that we might not put in the rotation for breakfasts, etc. but if happen to be working in our building that day, they are NOT excluded. This includes subs and maintenance!

While there are definitely cliques in the break room, they are not specifically divided by job type. Having said that, it is likely that sometimes teachers will choose to come together because it is easier to talk about like things. That doesn't preclude anyone from joining nor does it stay that way.

I think it is hard to change a work culture, but not impossible. It could take time, finesse and persistence though.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Fanatic

Sorry that is happening, OP. Treatment like that doesn't happen everywhere. As Cut said, it has more to do with the culture of your school.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Companion

Connecticut
Teaching Assistant - ECE Resource
WOW!!!! I have been working for a wonderful school system and have NEVER had anyone be disrespectful or mean to me...if anything its the opposite. I'm a Kindergarten Teaching Assistant and I feel respected and valued everyday.

Teacher Appreciation Week not only were we personally invited to the Breakfast from the Principal and Lunch from the PTA but the Kindergarten Teacher (and parents) gave ME a bouquet of flowers from them and the kids..and hand made cards from the kids as well!!!!! The K teacher I work with sings my praises constantly to the point where people come up to me; staff, parents, etc. and tell me they've heard amazing things.

I don't understand people who are like that. To me that's so sad when staff are treated that way and its wrong!!!!!!!!!!

I feel very blessed to be in my district and have worked in the Elementary schools I have worked in with the people that I do.

I'd be sad too.

((((HUGS)))))
Old 05-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Groupie

CA
6th Grade Teacher
That is an awful way to treat any staff. My school never has anything that is only for "teachers" and I can't imagine people saying that someone couldn't join.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Guru

There have been special treats for teachers only in both of my schools. Of course, it it was a food spread and someone wandered into the room we always welcome them. Not every teacher would eat, so it balanced out. If it was a special note pad in our mailboxes, they were just for teachers from maybe a local business for Teacher Appreciation Day. We alao have special recognition for administrators and office staff. No assistants, though. In general, though, I think there is respect all around.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Companion

Atlanta suburbs
Sub and looking for K-3 or SpEd
At our school, teachers and paras are respected equally. When students bring gifts for teachers, I have always gotten one even when I was a para. When there is a breakfast, or potluck lunch, paras are invited as well as the support staff. That is one of the reasons I like the school that I am subbing for, even subs get treated with respect and that doesn't happen everywhere!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Comrade

USA
High School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmullenjr View Post
That is an awful way to treat any staff. My school never has anything that is only for "teachers" and I can't imagine people saying that someone couldn't join.
I don't see anything wrong with having an event for teachers only. In my school, there are certain functions that are only for staff, some only for administration, some only for teachers, and some for everyone.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Groupie

CA
6th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
I don't see anything wrong with having an event for teachers only. In my school, there are certain functions that are only for staff, some only for administration, some only for teachers, and some for everyone.
I see something wrong with telling someone (in the staff lounge) that something is for teacher's only, as if the presence of a non teacher would ruin their event. As far as having exclusive events, I like the way that my school does it. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just glad that I don't work at school that excludes anyone.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Novice

Kindergarten Prep Teacher
Sorry to hear about this. You don't deserve that kind of treatment. I would speak with someone in charge of these functions. Do the other paras feel the same way? Keep plugging along...hang in there!

Tags
paras, respect