A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 05-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Guru

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
Updating....

So, due to all of my dilemma with my interviews and scheduling, I thought I'd give an update.

First of all, as of yesterday, my house is officially for sale. Someone down the street listed the day after I called my realtor. Their house has an identical floor plan, but they are lacking some upgrades that I have (fireplace, vaulted ceilings, covered front porch, deck, etc...). They asked $134,900 and they were under contract in 17 days. Now, I still don't know how much the contract is for. I listed for $129,000, so I'm hoping my sells within 2 months.

As for my job situation, I had four interviews lined up:

School A- 3.5 hours away. Face time interview.

School B- 2 hours away. Rescheduled the interview. P and I spoke many times on the phone and seemed to have hit it off. In the middle of nowhere!

School C- elite school district- 40 minutes away. Award winning district, top paying in the state, my #1

School D- Charter a little over an hour away. Phone interview.

So.....

School A
- I already reported the Face Time interview was riddled with technology issues. They called and left a message saying they went with another candidate, but I interviewed well and they may end up with more openings, so they may be in touch again.

School D- Went well- she said she'd let me know when they were ready to do demo lessons.

School B- The P called me the morning of my interview and asked for me to come earlier. Since I am out of state, she arranged for me to meet with the Superintendent while I was up there. I appreciate that because it is 13-14 hours from my house!

So, I get up there- and they have me meet with the Superintendent FIRST!!! Mind you, I have not interviewed for a job yet!!! It was....awkward. He kept on asking me how I'd contribute to the COMMUNITY (not school), and kept talking about that stuff. He questioned my lack of reading certification since I was interviewing for a 1st grade position. I do not have a reading endorsement, but I am Orton-Gillingham trained. Overall, I was super intimidated, and it was weird.

I then interviewed with the panel, and I felt that it went really well. Obviously not, because 2 days later they called and said they were choosing others to advance to the next round.

School C- A friend also landed an interview with this district, and hers was a few days before mine, so I knew some of what to expect.

They had over 6000 applicants. That's right- six thousand. They brought 216 in to interview for 15 jobs!

First, you have a written portion, then a 10-15 minute interview with a panel of 3 Ps.

I knew what the written portion was ahead of time. You had to analyze a 2nd quarter (January) report card and address issues because you will not see the parent for a conference until March. Well, I didn't read directions well. I went ahead and named the child "Billy" and wrote out the comments. I finished, went back to the directions, and read that they wanted to know what you would address, not write an actual comment I went ahead and scribbled stuff above it. "I would start with a compliment, then move to an area of weakness and give a strategy to improve it" or something similar. I ran out of time before I could go further.

So, I get into my interview. 1 P seemed like he hated the world, 1 was super nice, and 1 was OK, but seemed bored (can't blame him!). I felt it went terrible. I was SUPER nervous! I kept repeating myself. One question they asked was 2 parts, and I addressed both. The grumpy P then asked- Well what about ____. I had to say, I meant blahblah, sorry, I didn't explain it clearly.

We finished, I was standing to leave, and the nice P asked me why I want to move back. I gave my answer, and she said 'great answer', so I felt better that I ended on a higher note.

I drove all the way back to NC immediately after- changed clothes in my car and everything. I felt it went terrible- I screwed up the written and I didn't get good vibes from the interview. However, today I got an email saying I'm still being considered!! My friend got a rejection- and she used to work for the district! I'm so happy!!!

In the meantime, I'm still applying like crazy.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Guru

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
Here is my email (they did everything via email- even scheduled interviews):

Dear Candidate,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for applying for a teaching position in the **** School District. It was a pleasure talking with you and learning more about your background, experiences, and qualifications. This is so depressing- I really though it was going to be a rejection!

At this time, we are pleased to notify you that you are still being considered for a teaching position within the **** School District. As specific job openings become known, you may be contacted by an elementary principal to continue the interview process. Your patience during this time is appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your interest in the **** School District. We wish you much success as you pursue your career in teaching.

Sincerely,

The **** Elementary Principals’ Interview Committee
Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Aficionado

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
Keeping fingers crossed for you! Stay positive, but keep applying! It's easier to be positive that way anyways, you don't feel stressed, you know there are other opportunities just in casse.

It seems like you can't go by what your opinion is on an interview. If you feel it went horrible, the interwviwers might see that you were the best! If you have good vibes, maybe it was just meiocre. That's how my 2 interviews went, the job I got was the one where I felt the interview went just ok, and I probably didn't make any positive impression. And the other ones, where I felt 100 % comfortable and thought had the job in my hands - never heard back.

So just be positive either way
Old 05-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Comrade

History Teacher
I HATE panel interviews. Every interview I went on was a panel interview and its just awkward.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Rookie

Colorado
WHat great news!! I think it was kind of mean of them to begin the letter like a rejection statement.
Best of luck on your next steps!!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Phenom

Sp. Ed. Teacher
Wishing you tons of luck!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Guru

Southern NJ
2nd Grade Teacher
Good news!!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Habitué

North Carolina
7th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.history View Post
I HATE panel interviews. Every interview I went on was a panel interview and its just awkward.
Ditto! I had a panel interview at the end of April and I was pretty sure it was a bust. They did call me back for a demo lesson last week--but haven't heard anything back since I did the lesson. Of course it took them 2 weeks to get up with me after the interview, so maybe they just take things really, really, really slow ?? Anywho, back to panel interviews--they are extraordinarily stressful and way too formal. I like one-one interview (with principal or maybe principal and vp) because then it's much more conversational and less question/answer.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Phenom

Disney country
Back in the saddle again!
Was that location 40 minutes from the area you want to move back to? Hope so...good luck!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Guru

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by swansong1 View Post
Was that location 40 minutes from the area you want to move back to? Hope so...good luck!
Yeah- 40 minutes from my parents. I have ZERO problem living in this area- super nice, super safe, lots to do, and 40 minutes from my family!

Tags
updating