A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 05-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Companion

Chemistry
Common Core Standards- Interview Questions

My sister and I were discussing interviews for this upcoming school year and she was giving me some insight on some of her (and the counties) interview questions that would be asked this year. A lot of these questions revolved around the common core standards and how a prospective teacher would implement them into the classroom. One of the buzzwords she mentioned was formative assessment vs cumulative assessment. I understand the terms and feel like I have a good grasp on what a P or VP would be looking for in these terms/implementation. Are there any other "buzzwords/terms" I should be familiar with? Are there things that I am missing when it comes to these standards vs the current National Science Standards? For what it is worth, I will be/have applying for 7-12 science positions. Thanks for all the advice in advance!

Old 05-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Comrade

Tennessee
7th Grade Science
What kind of science do you teach/are you certified for and where are you looking? I know of a HS that is seeking a Biology as well as (I think) a Chemistry position.

As for Common Core, make sure you look at the standards. I know that Science is quite limited in what is available at this point, but think about how you would make sure the students achieved that standard's goal. Another think you want to think about, especially in middle schools, is what sources to use for reading within Science. Many middle schools require the teacher to teach a reading class or that they also incorporate reading within the classroom. This could involve picking a scientist and allowing the students to turn in a research project of some sort, or the class together reading the diary of a scientist to see how their thought process evolved.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Rookie

"Inquiry-based learning" seems to be one I have come across quite a bit in my job search.

Best of luck!
Old 05-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Companion

Chemistry
Teach TN- I am certified 7-12 Biology and working on Chemistry. I need 4 points to pass the Chem test and plan on retaking it in July.

Thanks for the information. It seems like I am pretty much on base with the standards and some of the terminology. I will review some of the interview questions here before my interviews that are scheduled at the end of the month/first of next month.m

Tags
common, core, interview, questions, standards