A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 04-30-2013, 07:00 AM
Comrade

Michigan
Art Teacher - K-5
Can't find jobs!

(First of all, I'm in art education, K-12)

I am not seeing as many postings as I did last year. I just graduated on Saturday, but thought I was so ready by having a link to every school district within a 2 hour radius as well as a huge list of links in 2 states where I am most familiar.

I'm willing to look out of state, but I don't even know how to start, seeing as how it feels like most job openings are buried on hard-to-find district websites and only open for a handful of days.

I'm also having a hard time with the few openings I have found - I'm not sure how to fill in the online application with my certification information when my current certification is pending and not expected for a few weeks.

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2013, 08:41 AM
Guru

Southern NJ
2nd Grade Teacher
First of all, congrats on your graduation!!!

Second of all, it's still very early in the process. My district posted earlier than usual, but many districts may not be sure what openings they have yet. For both of my jobs, I actually was hired in August (school starts in Sept. here). Keep checking your links every day.

As for looking for other states, check about certification reciprocity. Look at dept of ed websites for the other states. You may want to start that process before you apply.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Companion

North Carolina/Toronto/Bermuda
Spouse teaches HS French
Speaking to an area I know a fair bit about...

Getting licensed in additional states is time-consuming and expensive. My experience is with someone experienced but educated and licensed in another country, but without experience you will be in a similar situation.

I would estimate $300 per state including fees for the license, additional tests, and other requirements. Even though you may have taken Praxis or other tests, many states require you to take their tests. Most of the time you can take them without traveling to that state, but there will be occasional exceptions. Many states have their own quirky requirements, such as one state will require you to get an FBI certificate, meaning you have to get your fingerprints taken and send them to the FBI, while another state will require you to send them your fingerprints along with a fee (that is 500% of the FBI fee) and they will do the clearance themselves.

Time will also vary. One state took just a few weeks and only a $20 fee; another state has sanguinely announced that it will take them 14-16 weeks to look at an application, and if everything isn't perfect, then they will tell you what needs to be done - and I'm not sure if you go to the back of the line or not. I do have the impression that some of the slower states have a process where if a district calls about someone they want to hire, that they can actually expedite the process.

I don't know if you're familiar with indeed.com, but that's a good resource. I couldn't say if it uncovers 20% or 50% or 90% of openings, but it's a good all-in-one place to look.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
I've seen several art positions in MI recently. As a matter of fact, the other day, I was WISHING I was an art teacher because of some of the openings!

As for looking out of state, pick somewhere and start checking website. I had all kinds of checklists and spreadsheets!
Old 04-30-2013, 02:30 PM
Companion

North Carolina/Toronto/Bermuda
Spouse teaches HS French
The "just pick somewhere and start looking" strategy is unfortunately not that viable.

The states will want you to be licensed there, or at least have submitted your application. By the time you are licensed, the job will surely be gone. If it's only a question of "applying" you will at least have to pay the fee for the license plus copies of your transcripts.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:41 PM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
I considered MANY states, but I narrowed it down to the Charlotte, NC region. I had spreadsheets comparing driving time from 'home' to the new location, average flight costs from the new area back to MI, cost of rent, etc... I studied all of these before deciding on Charlotte. I didn't actually apply anywhere else.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Comrade

Tennessee
7th Grade Science
Your new job is finding a job. This means you may spend hours each day doing this, looking at various district websites. I know in my area (in TN), each individual district (just over 100 of them in TN) posts their openings on the district website. It may be the same for you, which means each day you have to check each one. Others have mentioned bookmarking the sites into a folder, then opening all in that bookmark folder to make it easy to search.

Good luck, you can do this!!
Old 04-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Comrade

Michigan
Art Teacher - K-5
Thanks everyone! I will keep checking - I'm not sure I can apply for certification in other states before I receive my initial certification here, can I?

And giraffe - message me! I've only seen 1 full time art opening in my immediate area, and 2 that are about 1.5 hours away (meaning I'd still have to relocate.) I'll try to return the favor by sharing everything I hear!

And yes, I know this is my new job, it's just hard to manage while subbing everyday.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachart View Post
Thanks everyone! I will keep checking - I'm not sure I can apply for certification in other states before I receive my initial certification here, can I?
Yes you can.

And, I'll PM you when I get the chance to look them up. I'm primarily focusing on mid-Michigan and southeast Michigan.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Comrade

Tennessee
7th Grade Science
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachart View Post
And yes, I know this is my new job, it's just hard to manage while subbing everyday.
I agree, I am subbing daily as well. I try to look at the sites during lunch on my smartphone or when I get home. It is tedious, but well worth it to research and find your perfect fit.

Tags
find, jobs