A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Fanatic

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
Stoked...but sad!

We're getting SMART boards this week (the IT department is working in our classrooms since we're on Spring Break).

Our LCD projectors are being replaced, too! Our old projectors were starting to give us issues, so the timing is great!

Anyway, the maintenance department is going to be installing conduit to cover up all the wires that the new technology is going to create. Due to the installation of the SMART board, projector, and conduit, we had to take down all bulletin boards that are located in the front of our classroom.

I had just put up new butcher paper and border to display student work a few weeks ago. Now, I (along with all other teachers at my site) had to take everything down! I'm going to come back to bare walls! Teachers are complaining because our principal could've waited to do this in the summer; however, she chose to do it now because she "wanted to get it over with."

Enough ranting...for now! I have to keep reminding myself that I'm coming back to a SMART board!!!

Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Cohort

la,ca
Hopefully you will enjoy your Smartboard so much that you won't think about the minor inconvenience it caused.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Enthusiast

7th Grade Special Education
Same thing happened to me over Christmas break! I had this awesome bulletin board....but you learn to work around it. The Smart Board is so worth it.

Enjoy!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Enjoy! It will be worth the extra effort!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:49 PM
Habitué

That's exciting, but I understand. Putting up butcher paper may be one of my least favorite things. It's so hard to do alone!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
It does suck. But you will love it!
My P chose to retile our building over Christmas break a few years ago- we had to pack up our ENTIRE classroom!

And, be thankful they do this when you are not in school. My Activboard was installed in the middle of the school day. We do all of our tech upgrades during school days. They rewired the building and put wireless routers in every room back in November. Again, during the day. Kids are really on task when people are pulling things out of the ceiling, drilling, and what not
Old 04-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Fanatic

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
I'm glad you guys can empathize!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Guru

I had a guy come into the classroom once without saying a word and begin to drill into the cinder block with this mega drill. Nice. Anyway, that's too bad about the bulletin boards. Figures. But enjoy your new technology!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:56 AM
Fanatic

North Carolina
2nd grade teacher
Lucky you! I have what's called a BenQ. It has all the functionality of a Smartboard but you have to use a pen. I'll use what I can get but I have always wanted a SB. I think once it's installed you won't miss your BB!!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Fanatic

North Carolina
2nd grade teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe326 View Post
It does suck. But you will love it!
My P chose to retile our building over Christmas break a few years ago- we had to pack up our ENTIRE classroom!

And, be thankful they do this when you are not in school. My Activboard was installed in the middle of the school day. We do all of our tech upgrades during school days. They rewired the building and put wireless routers in every room back in November. Again, during the day. Kids are really on task when people are pulling things out of the ceiling, drilling, and what not
If I had to pack up my room over Christmas Break I would be one unhappy camper. How did you guys find the time?!

Last week I had WiFi installed in my classroom. It only took a few hours, but the kids couldn't ignore the 3 men drilling holes and taking out ceiling tiles.

The worst part was that they accidentally drilled a hole through some part of my heating unit, so we lost heat for 3 days and no one could figure out why. Luckily, it was replaced with a digital thermostat, so now I can set it and forget it

Tags
sad, stokedbut