A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 03-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Connoisseur

Cal
Upper Elementary Teacher
Thinking on moving to Jr. High. Talk me out of it...

Ha. There might be an opening. I'm in 4/5 combo class right now. There's many pros and cons to both staying and moving. Biggest draws for moving; better pay, more PD, collaboration, no combo, 20 minutes less commute (and gas). Draws for NOT moving; small, friendly school, nice kids, family atmosphere, little pressure, I can teach my way.

How do I know if I can even handle 7th and 8th graders? HELP...

Old 03-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Fanatic

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
Wait...would you be moving to a new district or just a different school? If you'd be leaving for a different district, would you be okay with starting over as a Prob 1 teacher?
Old 03-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Aficionado

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
It's no picnic. I can tell you that. I am always physically and emotionally drained from dealing with the immaturity of middle schoolers and their parents sometimes. You have to be prepared to constantly have high expectations for your students, but constantly expect to be disappointed because this is not a development period known for their maturity and mettle.

I know it's my first year and all, but after the incident that happened yesterday, I am seriously contemplating leaving teaching. I'm tired of my mental well-being and my occupation being subject to the whims and accusations of immature students.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Fanatic

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrin5 View Post
It's no picnic. I can tell you that. I am always physically and emotionally drained from dealing with the immaturity of middle schoolers and their parents sometimes. You have to be prepared to constantly have high expectations for your students, but constantly expect to be disappointed because this is not a development period known for their maturity and mettle.
I always tell myself that if I could survive my one year stint at the middle school level (last year), I can get through pretty much anything!

You definitely won't find me teaching middle schoolers ever again. EVER! Most difficult year of my entire life.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:51 PM
Groupie

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrin5 View Post

I know it's my first year and all, but after the incident that happened yesterday, I am seriously contemplating leaving teaching. I'm tired of my mental well-being and my occupation being subject to the whims and accusations of immature students.
Peregrin--as opposed to leaving teaching, sounds to me like you'd be better suited for high school perhaps? I did my student teaching in a Jr. High, and had classroom management issues. Now at the high school the only behavior problem that I ever have to deal with is those **** cell phones. It's so much better.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Guru

I taught middle school for six years...for the most part I really enjoyed it. They're not as "precious" as elementary little ones, but they are special and exciting in their own ways.

Have you ever worked, subbed, or observed at the middle school level?
Old 03-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Enthusiast

7th Grade Special Education
You never know if you don't try!

I moved from 3rd to 6th and don't regret anything.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Connoisseur

Cal
Upper Elementary Teacher
Subbed? Never. Worked? No. Observed? Yes, a few times, a friend's class. This would be a new district, same town. A cohort is trying to talk me into it a little. She loves it.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Comrade

Tennessee
7th Grade Science
I love love LOVE Middle School, but could never do Elementary. I can handle High School, but lately I've had a rough time subbing in HS. It's really an individual preference I suppose. Yes, they are hormonal, drama-filled, and sometimes get on your last nerve, but there is something special about middle schoolers that I just adore that I do not get in high school.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Fanatic

Ohio
Middle/High School English
I loved 8th grade last year. I would move down but I also love my sophomores.

Tags
high, moving, talk, thinking