A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 03-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
Quality Control or Possible Big Brother?

I am rescuing this from a closed thread. How would school atmosphere in general and your classroom atmosphere in particular be changed if there was monitoring happening? Would you feel stifled if there were security cameras in your room, or would you feel a little more covered if a student made a false or shaky complaint against you? How about possible monitoring of your classroom phone, if you have one?

Because I teach remotely, my calls may be recorded and my life teaching sessions, which I voluntarily record, may be pulled for quality control (mostly so my observer doesn't have to show up to a live session). I'm so used to it now, I rarely ponder it beyond knowing it backs up my personal documentation.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Novice

US
I've wondered this as well. It seems that having cameras in the classroom would cut down on a lot of issues and I'm curious as to why they aren't already installed as a rule. I know students are recorded on buses and in the hallways already in many schools, but why not the classroom?

Thank you for asking a question that's been niggling me!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Multitudinous

Ontario, Canada
Grade 7/8
Interesting question, cat. I know that every time I am in the halls I am on camera; I only ever think about it if I do something foolish, like slip or drop my coffee . I don't think it would bother me too much to have a camera in the classrooms; I know that no one is going to sit and watch me all day long.

I don't do or say anything in my classroom that I wouldn't want a colleague, administration or parents to see or hear.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Companion

New York
Education Student-Graduating 2016
I think at first it would make some people uncomfortable. I also think that the teachers need to feel supported by admin. If you feel you're being victimized or singled out, you may feel that your every mistake is there for everyone to see and analyze. However, I think going into a school with cameras would be easier than having them installed after being there for a while. Getting them installed may make teachers feel like they've been doing something wrong and now they must be watched.

But I do like what MrsC said, don't do something you don't want others to see/hear and you'll be fine.

(Note: "you" has been used as "you in general" not anyone specific.)
Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Novice

US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle15 View Post
Getting them installed may make teachers feel like they've been doing something wrong and now they must be watched.
I think it completely depends on how the administration is using the cameras and explains their purposes. I can see cameras being used to support the teachers, especially in claims where it's the student vs. the teacher. What about behavioral issues that typically require extensive observation? Now you've got hours of tape to review.

I'm usually not one to say, "If you've got nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about," but in this case I think it's applicable. Having a camera in the classroom shouldn't change the way you act one iota.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Comrade

SD
8/9 LA, World History
I hate being recorded. I hate being filmed. I see where there are cases where this would be good thing.

It should not change what and how you do what you do. But the reality of it, cameras do change what we do.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Fanatic

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
During teaching time, I couldn't care less if a camera was on.

How about during lunch time, though? What if I wanted to make a personal phone call? Would I have to go out to my car if I didn't want the conversation recorded? Or what if I needed to "adjust" myself? Would I need to go to the bathroom so it wouldn't be caught on tape?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Habitué

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTeacherGuy View Post

How about during lunch time, though? What if I wanted to make a personal phone call? Would I have to go out to my car if I didn't want the conversation recorded? Or what if I needed to "adjust" myself? Would I need to go to the bathroom so it wouldn't be caught on tape?
This was my first thought as well. I like the idea of having the protection of everything being recorded, but what about teachers needing to vent about unfair/unsupportive admin during lunch/after school? As YoungTeacherGuy said, what about a personal call when you're staying late to plan? You'd have to watch what you said all the time. I'm conflicted about the whole thing.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
That is an interesting point. My recordings are only when I am on the phone or in my online classroom. I exercise during my lunch break, and I'd REALLY hate for my webcam to suddenly turn on and record my workout.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Cohort

Texas
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTeacherGuy View Post

Spot on!

Tags
big, brother, control, quality