A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 03-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
I turned in my letter of resignation last Monday.

I recieved a job offer two weeks ago. Slept on it over the weekend. Accepted, and gave my two weeks the following Monday.

I was hired to work as a implementation coach for this software company. In short, I will teach new clients how to first use the software.

When hubby and I moved to this region, I looked for two years, applied to hundreds of jobs from full-time, part-time, aides, paras, assistants, everything. This region is just way too saturated. Even in the good days of education it was tough here. It doesn't help that the university in this town is pumping out teachers every year. The best job I could get at a school district, 45 min drive away, was this afterschool job. I work alongside people who just graduated from college. Two of them are immature and makes all of us look bad.... But I digress...

So, that said. I reevaluated my life and career goals. This month I decided to apply to any job that sounded interesting and looked like something I could do. I ended up applying to two software companies, a news station, and three other businesses. After a week of applying, I received an invitation to two of the jobs I applied to. One of them involved three rounds of interviewing. First phone, two in person. It was very grueling and quick. It started on a Monday, and by Friday night I received the offer. I was in shock. Here I was, ready to make a huge decision. Take a risk, pop my safety bubble and try something totally new, or decline it and just keep trying to find a job as a teacher.

In reality, I've been miserable. It's been tough being a teacher in this economy. Sunday night, I accepted the offer and emailed in my paperwork. This coming Friday will be my last day. My supervisor and the principal were sad to hear me go, but understands where I'm at. There is nothing they can do to keep me. No jobs. That's what I want, an actual teaching job. It won't happen.

I'm terrified though. This is a huge change for me. I wonder, in the next few years, will I regret this moment or will I be happy and wish I did this sooner? Anyways, I'll soon no longer be a regular classroom teacher.

Well, this is all if I pass the background check... Which I'm sure I will.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Aficionado

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
It sounds like you made the right decision. You have tried and waited long enough. You weighed the pros and cons, thought about it logically, slept on it, and it still felt right.
I don't think you will regret it. The best thing to do is keep going forward. I think there is a time and place for everything. You may have had to wait and try and be frustrated this long to be brave enough to make this change.

Good luck!!
Old 03-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Thanks Linguist. I'm at a very terrified stage though. I went in Monday morning to inform my supervisor and I just started crying (I'm not a crier, but have been very emotional lately). Anyways, I just worry that I'll start the job and realize that I'm even more miserable. Or that I'm not cut out for the job. That I'll stink and they'll fire me.... I'm such a worry-wort... bleh
Old 03-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Comrade

california
job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachyness View Post
I recieved a job offer two weeks ago. Slept on it over the weekend. Accepted, and gave my two weeks the following Monday.

I was hired to work as a implementation coach for this software company. In short, I will teach new clients how to first use the software.

When hubby and I moved to this region, I looked for two years, applied to hundreds of jobs from full-time, part-time, aides, paras, assistants, everything. This region is just way too saturated. Even in the good days of education it was tough here. It doesn't help that the university in this town is pumping out teachers every year. The best job I could get at a school district, 45 min drive away, was this afterschool job. I work alongside people who just graduated from college. Two of them are immature and makes all of us look bad.... But I digress...

So, that said. I reevaluated my life and career goals. This month I decided to apply to any job that sounded interesting and looked like something I could do. I ended up applying to two software companies, a news station, and three other businesses. After a week of applying, I received an invitation to two of the jobs I applied to. One of them involved three rounds of interviewing. First phone, two in person. It was very grueling and quick. It started on a Monday, and by Friday night I received the offer. I was in shock. Here I was, ready to make a huge decision. Take a risk, pop my safety bubble and try something totally new, or decline it and just keep trying to find a job as a teacher.

In reality, I've been miserable. It's been tough being a teacher in this economy. Sunday night, I accepted the offer and emailed in my paperwork. This coming Friday will be my last day. My supervisor and the principal were sad to hear me go, but understands where I'm at. There is nothing they can do to keep me. No jobs. That's what I want, an actual teaching job. It won't happen.

I'm terrified though. This is a huge change for me. I wonder, in the next few years, will I regret this moment or will I be happy and wish I did this sooner? Anyways, I'll soon no longer be a regular classroom teacher.

Well, this is all if I pass the background check... Which I'm sure I will.
Peachyness I would look at this as a wonderful oppertunity to try out a new job which you might love. In any case, this decision dose not have to be the final decision you make about becoming a teacher. If you end of not loving the job, or if you find that you still want to become a teacher, you can always go back and apply to schools again. Who knows jobs might open up in the next few years in your area and you could apply again. In any case, I doubt that a school district will find fault with your choice to work at a full time job when there are none avalible in education in the area. They must understand that we all need to eat and pay bills.

In any case, I am sorry you had to make such a tough decision.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Aficionado

Upper Elementary Teacher
I think all jobs have bad things about them and good things- if you can keep yourself focused on the good hopefully that will out weigh the bad. But I hope this new career offers you a lot of good and no bad things about it- you're a hard worker and you know you'll bring all the skills and knowledge you had as a teacher into this new career.

I admire you- it seems like if you get going in teaching its hard to break out into something different- I see my husband doing a lot of different jobs over the last few years and I'm semi-jealous about it. I love teaching but it's a stressful profession where we often are not rewarded for our hard work.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Maven

Southern California
SLP Grad Student & 2 Other Jobs
Congrats Peachy!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
Peachy,
It is 100% normal to second guess yourself. I switched PT jobs back in August, and I was terrified of the unknown even though I was miserable where I was at. It worked out- I love it!
I think you will enjoy your new job. It may not be exactly what you want, but there are a lot of similarities and it sounds like you will have more stability.
Good luck!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Phenom

Disney country
Back in the saddle again!
Your new job sounds wonderful! You'll do great!!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
You will still be a teacher, just with a different kind of student. I think you're going to be a perfect trainer!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Aficionado

Congrats on the new job.

I did Professional Development for people in your situation. They had trouble finding fulltime jobs teaching so were working in other fields. But they wanted to keep their licenses up to date just in case they felt the need to go back one day. That might be something you look into as well.

Tags
letter, monday, resignation, turned