A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 03-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Fanatic

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
What teachers really want to tell parents...

A colleague posted this on Facebook. I found myself reading it and nodding my head the entire time.

Happy reading, my friends!

Old 03-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
I think someone posted this same article under the same thread name not long ago...
Old 03-12-2013, 06:59 AM
Comrade

Tennessee
7th Grade Science
I saw this one this morning. After that slideshow is done, there was another one about what Principals won't tell you.

http://www.rd.com/slideshows/slidesh...ideshow=slide1
Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Groupie

Midwest
Special Education Teacher
Yes, it does look familiar. I just do not remember where I saw it.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Aficionado

Upper Elementary Teacher
What I wish I could tell parents: I struggled with learning disabilities like your child and they will be okay- if they work hard to learn strategies to work out the problems. Letting them slide by will not help them as an adult- you're doing more harm than good.

(I had reading and speech disabilities)

There's one boy I adored, but he had major anger issues (I still say prayers for him although I teach at a different school): Get your kid serious help- he has no coping abilities for his anger and anxiety... and this will just get worse. He feels worse after he's been angry at someone and needs to learn how to work through it without hurting others or himself.

If only I could...
Old 03-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Comrade

MI
Math Intervention K-5
I have a student who's parents refuse to allow any testing to be done (even though it's obvious that something needs to be done) because they "don't want to put a label on her." And they're "satisfied with her progress and think she is progressing with the curriculum just fine" (Their words). Mind you, she's over a year behind, and started a year late to boot.
What I would like to tell them is - why would you send your child to public school to, basically, disagree with everything that the professionals there tell you? If you know better than trained professionals, just homeschool then (which is VERY common here).

Honestly, it insults our profession, training, experience, etc. when that happens. We do everything in our power (sometimes even beyond) to help their children to be successful, but it's as if they would rather them not.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Connoisseur

NC
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auter12 View Post
I have a student who's parents refuse to allow any testing to be done (even though it's obvious that something needs to be done) because they "don't want to put a label on her." And they're "satisfied with her progress and think she is progressing with the curriculum just fine" (Their words). Mind you, she's over a year behind, and started a year late to boot.
What I would like to tell them is - why would you send your child to public school to, basically, disagree with everything that the professionals there tell you? If you know better than trained professionals, just homeschool then (which is VERY common here).

Honestly, it insults our profession, training, experience, etc. when that happens. We do everything in our power (sometimes even beyond) to help their children to be successful, but it's as if they would rather them not.

I remember the day, several years ago......

A parent said she didn't want her child to be labeled. I said, choose your label. Do you want a label that there is a genuine issue that your child can't control on his own, and get him help---or do you want him to have the label "behavior problem"? She got him tested.

We can't say that anymore!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Comrade

MI
Math Intervention K-5
The "label" here is all in the parents heads. We had 4 students (2 now), so our kids are close and don't judge each other. I did, however, tell her mom that if its isn't something that she "grows out of" (they think she will) then the labels other kids will give her when she goes to the "bigger" school could be worse than any label they think we might give her.
That didn't work because they are delusional and think this is just a little delayed development and she'll grow out of it (she'll be 8 in less than a month). Isn't that part of why I want to get her help- so we get close the gap of the delay?? Btw I my opinion (without testing) there is more than just a delay.

Tags
parents, teachers