A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Middle School / Junior High

Old 03-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Companion

Maryland
Grade 6-8 Science Teacher
Proctoring Standardized Testing

Hello all!

I am a regular and preferred substitute for a local middle school. I was in for about 3 1/2 months for this one teacher last year, so obviously she and the staff trust/know me, but I'm nervous for tomorrow!

She emailed me plans and then said she talked to the guidance counselors...and because I am a certified teacher, I am going to be allowed to proctor the MSA Math test tomorrow morning. Yikes! I've never had to do this before!

It's for 8th graders that I know fairly well (I've been in for her several times this year too)

Any suggestions or tips? Ease my mind?

Old 03-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Companion

California
Middle School English teacher
If it's anything like our standardized tests, you'll just have to pass out the exams, instruct students where to fill out their info, and read some mandatory things to them before they begin. All info should be included in what the administrators give you. Then all you have to do is walk around to ensure students are on-task and have their eyes on their own tests. We have a rule of no electronic devices before, during, or after the test. It should be a pretty easy day, just slow.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Habitué

8th Grade
I agree with Furthuron as far as your duties as a proctor. Everything here in VA is scripted. It is a slow day, esp. with math and the essay part of the writing test here in VA.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Companion

Maryland
Grade 6-8 Science Teacher
Thank you.

I got a crash course in being a test administrator in about 10 minutes. It included reading 2 pages of step-by-step, signing away my life (or just that if something happened I could lose my teaching license) and then viewing a powerpoint on the same stuff that was already reviewed. At least I can go into my first year of teaching with this under my belt!

It was a very slow day! The school was very grateful that I was there since I was certified (apparently another sub was not, so she had to stay in the copy room for 2 hours)...on the plus side the teachers had all of their copies made for the next 2 weeks

Tags
proctoring, standardized, testing